Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Today i tested my water like i do everyday and came up with

amm - 0
nitrite - 2ppm
nitrate - 5-10 ppm
ph - 8.2

Which is fine considering im coming to the end of my cycle i alsowent to a local shop and had them test my water and this is what they got

amm - 0
nitrite - 5ppm
nitrate - over 100ppm
ph - 8.2

Both of us used an api master test kit so this is some what confusing. All i did was put some of my tank water into a water bottle and drive to the store. My kit is less then 6 months old and i followed the directions on the card for testing the water

Anyone have any insight on what might have happened?

Im going to bring a water sample to a different place tomorrow and see what they get and go from there.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You left out some information that would be helpfull .Size of the tank ,how long is the tank been cycling, how much live rock/substrate,what size shrimp did you use,what's the age of the test kit used at your LFT.Do yourself a favor and buy a reliable test kit like Salifert in the future and remember every tank is different cycle time may vary.

rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
55gal tank
15 gal fuge
test kit is less then 6 months old
50-55lbs live rock
2" sand bed in dt
2" sand bed in the fuge w/ cheato

been in the cycle around 3 1/2 weeks
as far as the shrimp i went to the seafood section of the supermarket and got one of the shrimp they sell put it in a nylon bad and put it in the sump.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
55gal tank
15 gal fuge
test kit is less then 6 months old
50-55lbs live rock
2" sand bed in dt
2" sand bed in the fuge w/ cheato

been in the cycle around 3 1/2 weeks
as far as the shrimp i went to the seafood section of the supermarket and got one of the shrimp they sell put it in a nylon bad and put it in the sump.
Well now i'm leaning towards the test kit from your LFS.A retest should be done though.Your nitrite /nitrate should be at '0' by now but not a problem at this time because there is no livestock in your tank.Remove the shrimp immediately ,the cheato will take care of the nitrates in a week or two, be patient .You used too much shrimp IMO LOL.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: