firenze00

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im looking to get a Viaaqua titanium heater but im not sure how much wattage i need, My tank is 75g. Does anyone have experience with this heater?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
3 to 5 watts per gallon is the standard. If this is not housed in a cold basement then a 200 to 250 watt will work.

I use two 200 watt version of this heater in a 120g tank. Two so that if one fails it will not quickly cook the tank in the on position and if failed on the off position, I will see that the tank is having a hard time keeping the temperature at the set point.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I don't think that a total watts of 300w is too big for your 75g, I also use a 300w for a 90g office tank because I had one lying around. What makes me a bit more comfortable is that I also have this plugged into a $65 Ranco temperature controller to minimize the failure portion of the heater's internal thermostat switch. The choice I would make though is to use two 150w heaters for the one heater failure scenerio if I was buying from scratch. If I had the 300w already, I would still use it if I was the type of person that always looked at tank conditions on a daily basis.
A single 300w heater stuck on the "on" position can get your tank temperature to 90+ degrees in less then half a day.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
What ever heater you get please put it or them on a controller to avoid cooking your animals in the event of a failure on the on position.
I also like to have 2 heaters per system in the event of a burn out.;) The other should keep the water warm.:)

firenze00

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks a lot guys i will prob go with 2 150w like you guys say just in case one fails. One more question- what thermometers do you guys use? I cant seem to find an accurate one that is reasonably priced.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: