• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

XXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon 950 but have been unable to get those super-sharp pics that many of you get. Can you give me any advice or hints to steer me in the right direction?

Also how do you downsize a picture before posting?

Thanks!

RichK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a 950 for all my pics. Make sure the camera is in "fine" mode no matter what picture size you are taking.When you use the macro mode, there is a flower that comes on the screen. Zoom in/out until the flower goes green/yellow. That will give you the optimum focusing ability of the camera. I also suggest using a tripod. They are invaluable for macro shots and any picture you are shooting at 1/30 or slower.

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, keep your camera perfectly parallel to the surface of the glass. If you take a photo at an angle (even a small angle) the refractive index properties of the glass will distort and blur your photo.

-Nathan

acecool

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering buying this camera, Nikon 950, and saw on the Internet for $499...is that a really GOOD deal? What do you like/hate about it? Any input would be appreciated as I need a digital camera very soooon
icon_smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 990, but they are quite similar.

As stated above, fine mode gives you the best resolution, stick with it.

I tend to use fully automatic mode, but I sometimes use "Best Shot Mode"

Macro mode is fantastic for close ups. I have added Tiffen close up lenses +1 +2 +4 +7 & +10. Most of these Macro Photos were taken with the +10 & +7 on the camera. Unfortunatly, the focus flower doesn't work properly with my lenses.

Take a lot of pictures, you are lucky if you get 1 out of 20 that are nice

I use MS image composer to size and crop my pics. I know there are probably some much better products out there for this, but it's all I have
icon_sad.gif

I Usually angle my lens slightly down to avoid any extra light entering the lens to mess with the color balance.

Tanks Lights on... Room Lights off

Tripod helps for those closups

Turn the tank pumps off

I never use the flash

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon 880 and also use macro and manual mode. Also using a tripod and using PhotoSuite Platinum for cropping and sizing.

Barry

Rick O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nathan:
<STRONG>Also, keep your camera perfectly parallel to the surface of the glass. If you take a photo at an angle (even a small angle) the refractive index properties of the glass will distort and blur your photo.

-Nathan</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to thank you for that suggestion. For months I've been trying to figure out why some of my pics were perfect and others weren't. Especially of one particular coral. I had been trying to take the pic at an angle to eliminate a shadow on the coral and every pic was blurry.

Rick

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: