thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all, I've had my first large acro colony for a couple of months now. It is doing very well, but when I first got it, about 2 inches of one of the branches died off (I don't know why, but it never spread, and the rest of the acro is healthy). Now the dead part is starting to get algae on it, and I want it off (the branch is accessible, and not crowded by other branches). What is the best way to do this? I am going to get some shears. Should I use them in the tank? Take ouf the colony and do it out of the tank? Would love to have some advice on proper technique. (I know this isn't fragging, but I am guessing the same rules apply)

Thanks!
Alex

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Go buy your self a pair of stainless steel needle nose pliers from a fish tackle store, breaking off what ever you want or don't want with them is much easier. Make sure you rinse the pilers with fresh water and dry after each use, stainless steel will rust with salt water.

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
How should i snap them off? By closing the needle nose pliers and crushing where I want to break off the branch or by holding the pliers and "snapping" the branch off with a sideways motion?

would they have these pliers at home depot? I don't know any fish tacke stores in manhattan.

Thanks so much for your help!
Alex

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
thepudge said:
How should i snap them off? By closing the needle nose pliers and crushing where I want to break off the branch or by holding the pliers and "snapping" the branch off with a sideways motion?

would they have these pliers at home depot? I don't know any fish tacke stores in manhattan.

Thanks so much for your help!
Alex

Hold the branch at where you like it to break off and rotate your hand to snap the branch off.

Don't think HD carries them, there are no sporting stores in Manhattan that sell fishing tackle? You can alway order online.

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks! I am going to give it a try with some needle nose pliers, although I would like to buy a dremel at some point. Lol, I wish I had a spare cigar cutter, seems like that would work perfectly

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
where did u get a diamond plade for your dremel? been looking everywhere for a good saw blade for my dremel and all they have is this 30$ attackment with a guard and a wood saw blade or those brittle disks for cutting metal, the ones that grind that are a PoS and break flying everywhere (dangerous! omg!)

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
where did u get a diamond plade for your dremel? been looking everywhere for a good saw blade for my dremel and all they have is this 30$ attackment with a guard and a wood saw blade or those brittle disks for cutting metal, the ones that grind that are a PoS and break flying everywhere (dangerous! omg!)

Here's where I got mine: eBay

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: