rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Right now i am using an api liquid master test kit, with out spending a crazy amout of money is there anything out there that you guys find more reliable or maybe easier to use? Links to good places to buy them would be great also

Thanks, Ryan

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I like my saliferts- not easier to use but are more interesting lol are like little chemistry kits. Theyre a little pricey but hey- if your not spendin money in this hobby- your online plannin to spend money- so cut out the pc jargan and order some kits lol

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hey rpc wasnt gonna bash the tests you use but someone covered it lol- just to let you know-am not sayin all api kits are that off mine was alittle old- but my api ph test <- had all the tests from when I had a biocube a year ago that failed bad. Anyway I used the api ph kit ive had for a while ph tested 8.4 did a ph test with my salifert ph test immediately following and it tested 7.7. I tend to trust the salifert but am gonna pick up an elos ph kit just to really make sure out of my own curiosity but I believe the api was way off.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
test kits can be expensive and as you can see most people prefer salifert or elos.
Since you already have the API you should use them as a test. Pickup a salifert/elos or other kit and test them against each other. that way you can see how accurate the API kits are in relation to other kits.

BTW I use Elos for alkalinity,nitrate and nitrite
Tropic Marin for Calcium/Magnesium
Hanna for phosphate
API for ammonia

I used the salifert kit for Calcium which i found a bit confusing at times, until i used the Tropic Marin kit. Very easy to understand and execute. you test for calcium first and with the result you test for magnesium.very good kit.

cmor1701d

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert for Ca, Mg, Alk, and Nitrate. I also have a LaMott kit for Alk that hasn't expired yet, but it has extra steps that the Salifert doesn't.
I like the sharp color change for the Ca, Mg and Alk tests as opposed to trying ti figure which patch of closely aligned colors a sample matche.

stedfast82

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good info thank's Im going to buy SF from now just on a whim i had to go get a KH kit last night from are LFS (I dont like to do ) got it home and open the box this thing is so old the sticker on the bottle is brown and faded coming off this guy has an old shop i think that he must have 1000 sitting to sell

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
a kit that old is most likely expired and will not give you an accurate reading. this will in turn cause you to try and fix something that is not wrong. As stated return it and go else where or if he has a new kit.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I don't know where all this hatred for api comes from. I've used them since I started and they haven't steered me wrong. Most people that I've heard who use them say that they're just fine.

FWIW, salifert has had some reliability issues with theirs lately, so I've heard, from numerous sources.

I actually want to try the Elos test kits soon, just to give a supposed 'master brand' a shot.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Maybe you could calibrate your API against the SF kit in a controlled test. I'm sure there are some people in here that would like to know how they would test the same water.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I don't know where all this hatred for api comes from. I've used them since I started and they haven't steered me wrong. Most people that I've heard who use them say that they're just fine.

FWIW, salifert has had some reliability issues with theirs lately, so I've heard, from numerous sources.

I actually want to try the Elos test kits soon, just to give a supposed 'master brand' a shot.

I never said I hated them just that I dont like them-- I started out with them when I first tried the hobby with a biocube(that failed miserably) could never get my water quality right. I know was mostly due to inexperience but now that this tank is going great and I'm able to keep more now in a tank that really isnt mature at all yet than I was in the year of the biocube, makes me wonder about API- my api ph test stated that I had ph of 8.4 and my salifert ph said 7.7- 8.0 is a toss up in color. Maybe cause the test is old but maybe my ph reading was off all along with the biocube before my 65 I have now- nevermind the other tests I used by API. Is the only reason I suggest against API.

I go with the saliferts but am gonna give elos a shot also can never have too many test kits.

Last edited:

cmor1701d

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hate API in particular, just all tests that make you match your sample to a sheet of very similar shades of a color. The SF kits (for the most part) have a very distinct color change. Much easier for these old color-blind eyes to read.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I'd say use what you and your tank are more comfortable with. If you are getting good results from API and find SF to be confusing then stick with what you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: