rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have a few questions on stocking a 55g reef tank so far I have

a Pair of false perc clowns
algea blenny
cream angel

I dont want to go crazy with fish maybe another 2 possibly 3 that stay small. i am looking for fish that are interesting and have personality something fun to watch when i sit in front of my tank and something that will get along with whats in there now and be reef safe, so from personal experience what would you guys reccomend?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
There is definitely mixed opinions on this.

Some people will say Glass top it ONLY which i am sure is the safest option [especially with a fish thats this expensive] i prefer open top so i went with a 1/4" inch custom top i made. So far so good an he tries to jump at least like 5 times a day which i visually see...who knows when i'm not around how many times he jumps lol

someone just lost their blue spot with a 1/2" Mesh on top so thats definitely a no

i have no experience with eggcrate, what is the measurements between the openings? maybe someone else can chime in

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I do have an egg crate cover on the tank thnk this will be enough to keep him in the tank?

The downside to egg-crate is the amount of light that it stops from entering the tank.
I have seen fish as large as a Royal Gramma jump straight through egg crate.

The downside to glass tops are they destroy the oxygen exchange and that is a real problem in a reef tank.

Many make covers for their tanks using screen edging and 1/4" mesh..and it works like a charm and avoids the pitfalls of the glass and egg crate covers :)

rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
where can i get my hands on some 1/4" mesh i looked through home depot and didnt see any but then again i didnt know what i was looking for if i could find 1/4" mesh i would make my own tops out of screen window parts like i have seen, i used egg crate because i had it lying around

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It's called Pond Netting and you can get it at most Ace Hardware stores.
Be sure to get the right size - it comes in a larger size also - you donlt want that one.
Ace also carries the screen making kits

rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
from what other people are saying about solid tops is it reduces the gas exchange in the water and traps heat, im not to worried about the evaporation without a top as i have an ato set up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: