vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Boomer I use a doser to supply Ca.Mg.Alk, I would like to ask you if it's necessary to stir the Ca.Mg.Alk once in awhile? I wondered if they would precipitate, and would be more concentrated at the bottom of the container. If I'm going to use a air pump to stir the liquids, would there be any chemical reaction with the air. Or do I just leave it alone. Thank you so much in advance.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i was worried they would precipitate,then make me nuts. The reason I was worried because I wanted to make sure I have a constant concentration. yes i do have holes (to avoid vacuum), now i tried something different then years ago.
New Aquascape , no more Fiji Rocks (just 10 lb.) i use http://realreefrock.com/

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, stirring would be fine. More than likely the stiring would have a CO2 input, which would lower precip. But the opposite would take place with Kalk. The real question is what are the levels of Alk, Ca++, Mg++, temp and pH in that container. And many reefers use stirrers.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
No, stirring would be fine. More than likely the stiring would have a CO2 input, which would lower precip. But the opposite would take place with Kalk. The real question is what are the levels of Alk, Ca++, Mg++, temp and pH in that container. And many reefers use stirrers.
Wow, now I got problem, in room is worm (basement, 80-83)
I like to keep :
425 Ca
9 dKH
1300 Mg
1.026 Sali.
78 Temp.
Do I need 3 stirr (Ca,Mg.Alk.) ?! for Kalk. I got.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fine, that temp will have little effect on it.

Yes, you can stir the Ca, Mg, Alk.

You do not want to stir Kalk in the open air, as it will / may pick up CO2 and cause precip.

Ca(OH)2 ----> Ca++ + 2OH-

2OH- + CO2 + Ca++ ----> CaCO3 solid = precip. + H2O

However, Kalk Reactors with stirrers are different, as they do not let in CO2.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
That is fine, that temp will have little effect on it.

Yes, you can stir the Ca, Mg, Alk.

You do not want to stir Kalk in the open air, as it will / may pick up CO2 and cause precip.

Ca(OH)2 ----> Ca++ + 2OH-

2OH- + CO2 + Ca++ ----> CaCO3 solid = precip. + H2O

However, Kalk Reactors with stirrers are different, as they do not let in CO2.
For kalk. i am safe i got Deltec, but what kind the stirr i may use for Ca,Mag,Alk.?!

Attachments

• KM500S.jpg
    KM500S.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 169

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: