jmaquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Hey MR fam looking for a little help as some might know i started a 210 Gallon reef tank this is the biggest tank i have ever owned so i really want to do this right now i do a lot of reading on MR and other web site and see alot of people running all types of different reactors ( cal, GFO, carbon and w.e else ) now i have been in the saltwater game for a little over 6 years and never used anytype of reactors so now my question is what are the pros and cons? Also what are units people recommend? ( don't have alot of ht room please keep that in mind when recommending unit's ) another question i have is since i do 30 gal water change weekly is dosing needed (LPS tank no SPS ) also just a FYI my total what Vol is give or take 260 to 280 gallons please feel free to post link's to your set up and what you run

Thanks
Jonathan

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Most of the coral in our tanks have a defense system, toxic warfare. I would never run a reef tank without running at least carbon, 24/7. It neutralizes toxins, clarifies your water and provides overall better water conditions than running a tank without carbon.

The most efficient way to run carbon is actively as opposed to passively. What this means is running carbon in a reactor (like NextReef or TLF). The water is forced through the carbon and is infinitely more effective than running it in a filter bag thrown in your sump (water dynamics states that water will always take the path of least resistance, therefore it would flow around the filter bag as opposed to through it).

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
No problem Jonathan. As a second reactor I recommend phosban (gfo). Beyond that it is dependent upon your coral stocking. If you keep an sps dominant tank you'll eventually run into the need to either dose heavy calcium or consider a calcium reactor. However, that is down the road and a conversation for another day. Initially carbon is a definite, from day one and phosban is certainly a consideration if you find your phosphates are excessive.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: