• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

docmaffei

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an opinion/advice on either of the two sand distributors-
Pure Caribbean Aragonite vs. Caribsea Aragamax Select
1. Which is whiter?
2. Any negative experiences w/ either (i.e. diatom bloom)?
3. Which is the more popular brand and why?

Secondly, would anyone advocate a configuration of roughly 1/3 Marshall Island Live Rock with 2/3 Figi for a new setup.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:?:

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Caribsea "Aragamax Sugar-Sized" is basically the same stuff sold by Pure Caribbean Aragonite. The Caribsea "Aragamax Oolitic Select" is a more uniformly graded version (the fine particles are not quite as small, largest particles are not quite as large) of the same material. As far as color or function goes, I doubt there's any real difference in any of these products. I'd recommend using which ever one you like...

You're not any more likely to have a diatom problem regardless of which product you choose. You'll see a diatom bloom soon after getting your system up and running, but it will clear-up if everything is progressing normally.

As to which product is more popular - hard to say, but I'd speculate Carbisea just because it's distributed by pet supply places all over the country. The product offered by Pure Caribbean Aragonite is a direct-order thing, so I doubt they do the same volume of sales. Either product is fine, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As to mixing different type of Pacific live rock - it's a very common practice. Lots of folks mix Tonga, Fiji, Marshall, etc. to get a variety of shapes, colors, etc.

HTH

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW docmaffei...

rdo_welcome.gif

Don't forget to check out some of the stickies (announcements) at the top of the page...

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc,

Another suggestion is to also use some SouthDown playsand. It is sold in many Home Depots in the northeast. Around my neck of the woods, it goes for $1.89 plus tax for a 50 lbs bag.

I used about 100 lbs in my 30 gallon tank. It is a little dirty, but nothing the skimmer couldn't handle in a day.

Do a search, there are many posts on this sand.

HTH,

JohnD

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: