• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Im looking at the tunze 9002 and the aquatic life internal mini protein skimmer 115 for a 28g nanocube. I have not set my tank up yet but it will eventually have LR and corals. Would any of you recommend these skimmers? Or would you recommend something else?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
if you cant keep a stabile water level where the tunze would sit then pass on it, the remora's are nice the there is a deltec mc300 on rc that would be even better

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The current incarnation of the WM H1 is the Aquamaxx HOB which is far better than the Tunze 9002 and the Aquaticlife 115 but it is an HOB if you want to go that route. If you would consider an HOB you might also consider the CPR Aeroforce which likely isn't nearly as good as the Aquamaxx but is available heavily discounted for around $160 and is more skimming power than you would likely need.

I've run both the Tunze and Aquaticlife on my Solana and now use an Aeroforce that I got used for $100. I don't think the Tunze is worth it's high cost but I don't know of any competitors to get instead. The Tunze was marginally better than my modified Solana skimmer. The Aquaticlife functioned very well. Not up to par with the Tunze but incredibly well for its price. I think it would be adequate. Downsides of the Aquaticlife are the very small skimmer cup and the mounting. It uses suction cups and and a bracket. I ended up siliconing the Aquaticlife to a magnet mount and that worked fairly well. It's also a bit difficult replacing the skimmer cup after cleaning.

I donated my Aquaticlife to the Brooklyn Aquarium Society at the last meeting (magnet removed). If you come the next meeting you can get it real cheap.

greenycrew

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use a tunze nano on my 28... No microbubbles and fairly good skimmate. However, it requires frequent adjustment and a very stable water level that almost requires the use of an automatic top off system. Also you would need to purchase a custom cup from intank if you didn't want to cut the hood. So all and all is not perfect, but does do a pretty good job skimming.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
I am currently runnin a saphirre skimmer on one of my nanos and a remora on another I'm very happy wit both the sapphire is less noisey but both get the job done the sapphire is also discontinued u might have some stores wit some left from previous inventory I know ocean gallery has 1 sellin for 180 or u could ask on MR if anyone has one for sale

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Your best bet is to see what others with your exact tank are using and what they did to make it work.
Your main issue is to find room for it and what modification you may need to your hood. If it is going inside then you are limited by the space available there and will the hood close.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
...if you cant keep a stabile water level where the tunze would sit then pass on it, the remora's are nice the there is a deltec mc300 on rc that would be even better...

I actually have both a Tunze 9002 skimmer and the Aqua C remora pro skimmer. After the initial dialing in period, the Tunze 9002 skimmer works great. However, it does periodically need to be reset depending on water level, etc.

I can tell you that the Remora is the easiest "set and forget" skimmer with no having to adjust, etc. Especially, with the drain plug. What a great feature.

After using both units, I like the Remora, better. This goes against the crowd, but as a user of both products, I figure, I would give my 2 cents.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Remora is hang on the back. However, on my Solana, there is a sump, so it would have HOB and sit the sump. Not sure, for your tank.One thing about Remora, is I found it work best, to buy the largest pump for it's recommended size, that way, performance is very nice.

Just remember, that people rave about this skimmer and also think it sucks. However, everyone loves their tech support and skimmer quality. What they complain about, is the "sucking sound" and for some people they feel that it does not pull in more skim.

As I said, I have both, and they both pull in well, but I would have to say, that the Tunze 9002 would pull in more. However, comparing the futzing, there is no comparison. Set and forget for Remora ( I take that back, there is not even setting(. It's just plugging in and it works after it's broken in. No futzing at all...

Don't knock, never having to adjust, except for the skimmer cup, height which is a breeze.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: