Nova23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of this type as they would school together. and the other cardinal fish would kill each other when mature. I’ll probably be adding 5 of this in the future. Maybe after summer when I get a bit more free time..
I’ve really like to have some schooling first in the center..
has any one here any experience on the Red stripe cardinalfish schooling?’

Attachments​

Attachments

• B2567831-6608-49AB-BDC6-8D1E41F705B4.png
    B2567831-6608-49AB-BDC6-8D1E41F705B4.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 0
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I have not kept that species, but am very familiar with cardinal fish in general, specifically the banggai. Though they appear to school, the banggai males hold 3D territories in the water column and are intolerant of other males entering their zone. Only the females are allowed in. So if I added 6 banggai cardinals, into a 75 gallon tank, the males will try to stake out their territories, the big male will chase everyone else into the corner (outside his zone). Then the first female will be allowed in. I'd capture that pair, then allow the next male to claim the territory.

As for schooling, if you add 5 cardinal fish, you'll end up with 1 male and x females. the surplus males will be killed off and you'd end up with a harem.

SO, if you want a "school" of 5 cardinal fish, get like 8 or 10, ID the males and females as they pair up, capture them and hold them separately (sell them off), until you have your last male left and the harem. It's much easier to capture and keep the first pair and sell the surplus, assuming you have 50/50 split of M/F. good luck.

Nova23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a Banggai. The reason I want this particular species it’s that schools for real and the other Cardinalfish don’t

I was looking for information about the red Stripe Cardinalfish online but not too much about it.. the only person with knowledge about this fish said it would school. I’ll keep looking and see

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I already have a Banggai. The reason I want this particular species it’s that schools for real and the other Cardinalfish don’t

I was looking for information about the red Stripe Cardinalfish online but not too much about it.. the only person with knowledge about this fish said it would school. I’ll keep looking and see
Ah I understand, though it is said that chromis and anthias also "school."
Since you mentioned it, I have been to the Loveland Aquarium in Salt Lake City, where there was a school of a few dozen Banggai cardinals, in a 500-1000 tank. The displaying males were holding their individual territories, scattered though out the reef. The school was in the open water, comprised of mouth brooding males, females and what I would assume juvenile males, without territories.
This tank was 6-10 feet wide, 4-6 feet in and 4-5 feet in depth.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: