TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
PC lights are fine for fish only and/or the simple or "beginner" corals. Leathers,mushrooms,xenia,kenya trees and zoanthids. Clams are considered a more advanced coral and is not a great choice for your 1st piece. Also if you plan on keeping corals I would suggest much higher flow..270 although you might think it sounds like alot it's really not..I have more than twice that in my 24 nano lol.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
if you keep the clam up near the surface it should get enough light to survive, though i have to agree you should have waited quite a bit longer (and read quite a bit more) before buying most of what you have.

anyway, since you seem determined to push ahead with the clam and tangs, i would figure out pretty quickly how to clean your skimmer ;)

also, brine shrimp is a pretty crappy food. if you can get the tangs onto mysis -or even better is pellets imho- it will make life easier. also, nori on a veggie clip will help.

as for the salt. if you plan on keeping those fish in that tank for any length of time you should probably learn how to mix salt and do a water change, since with 3 tangs in a 54g you will be doing lots of them...

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Black,

I understand your choices that sound exciting. Buying tangs, clams, not having recommended lighting, etc. I personally, learned most of my lessons the hard way. When I took my co-worker under my wings, as a beginner reefer, we kind of understood, that while I was not an expert, what I did works. Try it this way, see how it goes, and then make improvements.

And then, on his own, he grew to a very good reefer. I told him more than once, that I was kind of jealous, that I did not have someone to help me, when I got started.

Fast forward to today, and I am much more patient about my reef, than when I started. I still make mistakes, but I make less of them. So in summary, I would suggest keep going on your path, to learn from fellow reefers, MR, Reef Central, etc. It should quicken your learning curve, save you $$$ and should make reefing more enjoyable, that you will limit some of the mistakes you learn, while gaining experience with this hobby.

Sounds like you are doing fine. Keep up the learning and patience is a good thing in reefing.

PS. One tidbit, is that when you buy frags and equipment from fellow reefers ask to see their setup. Most reefers, are happy to talk shop. I learned so much from when I buy something from a fellow reefer who shares his/her knowledge.

I always find it interesting in seeing someone else's setup. I pickup great ideas that I can use.

PSS. Other suggestion, try to use a camera to illustrate some of your future issues. Such as, if a coral looks sick, take a picture, etc. I find showing a picture helps for some issues to illustrate to other people, so they can help.

Last edited:

roccoharley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
nedd help

HI, I'm new here. Been lurking for a bit and finally joined. I'll get right to the point...any experienced reefers want to charge for housecalls??? I have a 54 gallon corner tank with 75lbs of LR, 20lbs. of LS, a cleaner crew of 6 Mexican turbos, some red leg hermits and a few Nassirus snails. Tank is long cycled and I'm scared to death to put some fish in there. This is a little daunting and to top it of I;m pretty sure I have flatworms. My LFS, doesn't have anyone that does housecalls any more and I'm insanely busy to try trial and error to this degree right now. Looking to pay someone for their time until I can get better accustomed to SW fish keeping. Weird request, I know but, I might just pack it up otherwise.

hey if u need some help thier is a little sw shop in astoria called berkel marine. he is located on ditmars blvd btwn 41st and 42st. try him and see what he can do for u his number is 718-937-1133 ask for alex and tell him i sent u. he also carrys a pretty good selection of fish, coral and supplies

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: