thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
So I'm planning a small display macro algae tank to be plumbed into my existing tank. I'm going to put it on a bookshelf next to the tank and it will be at a higher elevation then the current tank. Any suggestions with this project or suggestions on livestock? Keep in mind it'll only be about 24 inches wide and a foot deep, so too small for pipefish or seahorses. THanks!

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
livestock= none. a refugium is supposed to be a place free of predation where pods can grow to feed/replenish your main display. adding pipefish or seahorses would be totally against the idea, not to mention the water should be much cooler for seahorses than 78.
most small fish prey on smaller creatures like pods.
i would just plop in a colorful variety of macroalgae and call it a day.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
livestock= none. a refugium is supposed to be a place free of predation where pods can grow to feed/replenish your main display.

While this true, a refugium doesn't need to provide refuge specifically to pods. If you are looking to ensure that your macroalgae doesn't get eaten, and pods aren't a big concern, then any small fish or inverts that won't touch the algae will be fine. If you're looking to provide refuge to pods, then obviously you don't want a pod eating fish in there.

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The main function of the fuge will be to help water quality and stabilize pH at night, but I'd love to have it be aesthically pleasing as well. I'm now tossing the idea around of a bonsai inspired refugium, maybe with higher overhead lights to support mangroves. Sand sifting stars sound like a cool addition.

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some red macros a few mangroves i like strange stuff. so i say a small mantis shrimp if not maybe a reef lobster red or purple ones pretty cool.or maybe a small nem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: