• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cbrand

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to build a refugium for my 10 gallon. any ideas from anyone would be so greatly appreciated!

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your ten gallon a standard glass tank? If you are good at DIY you could go to a plexiglass supplier and have them cut the pices you need to build a little one or two gallon HOB fuge fed by a maxijet 400 and gravity return back into the tank.

cbrand

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido
yes it is a 10 gallon all glass. i'm kinda new so be as breif as you want and just tell me how it'll work. i'm guessing you mean just feed it with a little pump and just let it flow back into the aquarium?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would build it about 12"x4"x8" and that would give you 1.5 gallons of fuge. You could build it with the same design and principle of a HOB skimmer.

cbrand

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks trido! would you recomend sand or mud as a substrate? just thinking sand would be easier and cleaner but i'm not sure whether it is more benficial or not???

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have mud in mine. miracle mud. i also have sand as well, because the miracle mud was rediculously expensive. once the mud settles, it's no mess at all. i do question it's nutrient capabilities. anotherwords, it's at your own discretion, but i think you can get away with live sand, and it might even be better.
here..read over this:
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94521

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: