texman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a Red Sea Regal Angel for my 500g reef on the advice of an internet fish and coral dealer. After being in the tank for 10 days, it still has not taken any food - I have tried all sorts of frozen foods (Shrimp, Prime Reef, Squid, etc) I still have not seen it feeding at all - not even picking at the rocks - any comments or suggestions. It is not being harrassed by the other fish - there are plenty of amphipods and other critters in the tank.

THillson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to "A Guide to Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes" (G. R. Allen, Steene and Allen, 1998), regals are sponge and tunicate eaters. You may have to buy some sponges to get it to eat or try some of the prepared foods specifically for angels. If you can afford it, and you have the room, you may want to get more live rock, looking for pieces that are sponge encrusted.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge encrusted live rock will never survive tranport. Besides, the collectors phsycially scrub off all sponges before shipping them here to the States.

Therefore, what I suggest is that you attempt live foods first. Almost every species I know can be coax into feeding with live foods. Try artemia (bring shrimp) and mysis shrimps if available. You can slowly wean him off live foods in the future. Note that though they're diet is primarily composed of sponges and tunicates, fleshy foods (high in fat and protein) can satisfy their nutritional requirements.

Good luck!

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying (and this is my very humble opinion), that you should have planned ahead a little more before buying this fish. You have bought one of the most beautiful and most difficult to keep aquarium fish.

I have kept this fish before, and I have gotten 2 to eat. Two others died.

With that said, I recommend that for the first month, you keep this fish in a tank by itself. They are very shy at first, but once settled down and eating, they are very "scrappy."

I would recommend that you start off by buying some live clams or mussels at the seafood market. Break one open and put it in the tank w/ the regal, then leave. Come back later to peek in at the fish and see if it is eating. I have found that they also like Piscene Energetic mysis shrimp.

Put the fish in the funkiest must algae overgrown tank you have.

It may take a MONTH before you see this fish eat.

If you don't have a separate aquarium, you are asking for it. The regal won't fight other fish for the food. You can still try the clam/mussel trick though.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers
James Wiseman

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: