• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi, I have recently acquired four banggai cardinal fish (my first fish in my tank), and it looks like one of them is dying. Ammonia and nitrite both look good, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem. My nitrates are about 15 PPM, well within tolerable range. The other three fish seem just fine, but don't really eat much.

At this point, I'm just wondering whether to give up on the fish and remove it from the tank so it does not affect the other three fish.

IMG_0066.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My tank's been running for about 9 weeks. It's a 34 gallon, the Red Sea Max 130D, to be exactly, so the filtration system is built in.

I put the four banggai cardinals in on Sunday.

Ammonia and nitrite are both 0 (or very close to 0, as far as I can tell on the Red Sea test kit color charts), and nitrates are around 15 PPM. pH is around 8.3.

F

fishies1031

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
your fish is very cute. perhaps you need an expert to help you with your tests ;)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish.
I agree with the others, the tank is too new for 4 fish being added at once. You will need to be extremely careful about your parameters as they will deterioriate quickly with a lioload like yours.

I applaud you for doing your research but keep in mind you need to look for more info other than if they are easy to care for. :(
Both of the sites you posted specifically mention temperment and that 4 of these shouldn't be housed in a tank the size of yours.

Can you tell us a little more..what are you trying to feed them & where did you get them from?

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I breed Bangi Cardinal fish. I find them to be verry hardy. When Bringing in new stock it can be hit or miss. they ship well but recover from shipping badly.

Put yourself in this fishes place. Its life consist of swiming in and among the roots or mangrove plants in large shoals.

after a brief dark spell it comes to find itself in a brightly lit and nearly barren space with verry few hiding spots or other fish to shoal with.

find ways to lessen the stress turn off the lights put a towel over part or the tank so they dont see you walking around or so they can hide. play some soothing music..

also im not so sure your system is ready for fish , but good luck and dont get to down on yourself, most people wont admit it, but we all start off making alot of mistakes. you are alreayd ahead , since you did research before buying your first fish... more then most can say.

like most other fish you will end up with 2. once the dominant pair is formed they will kill the others. once they make it though the initial shock or if they do. they are pretty big eaters, but not to territorial they do amke a good first fish. imo

Im not sure if you said these guys are tank raised, but most arent.

here is a pic of some PJ cardinals. to give ya the idea.
35M1844-03-cardinalfish.jpg

Last edited:

MGR201

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's been running for about 9 weeks. It's a 34 gallon, the Red Sea Max 130D, to be exactly, so the filtration system is built in.

I am very sorry to hear about your sick fish. Looking at that image of the dying Cardinal in your original post, however, I was wondering why the tank looked so sterile after 9 weeks of cycling. Are you using NYC tap water, RO/DI water etc? Did you leave the lights off for the 9 weeks? I should think that there should be more life/coralline algae on the rocks and rear wall if the tank had been cycling properly for that long. It looks too sterile for 9 weeks. Suggest you post all of your water parameters and some additional images of the tank. Also think about gas exchange-- perhaps the water is oxygen-deprived. Finally, perhaps also have someone else test your water just to make sure that your kits are not outdated.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: