Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hello All,

I have this tap water filter: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+4484&pcatid=4484

The media that it has in it is super activated carbon and color-changing ion-exchange resin. You can purchase the replacement filters for it, however, I know that those have got to be a rip off. My question is, what would be the right media to replace in this filter. Would I need to buy both activated carbon and the resin? It sounds like an amateurish question, however I need to know!

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I brought the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter. After doing research on it (I know, do research first, then buy.It caught my eye and I impulsed buy) I returned it because 1 replacement cartridge cost $21+shipping online and $30+tax locally. I went ahead and got a dual stage DI filter and put it after my Kold Steril unit and brought 7 1/2 lbs of color changing di resin (enough for 6 refills). You are better off getting a RO/DI as Zany said.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Ok lets stop with RO/DI unit lectures he can't have one for apt/landlord reasons that have been documented elsewhere. Yes you can buy bulk activated carbon-- any brand commonly used for reefs will do, and you can buy bulk DI resin much cheaper than the replacement cartridge--- but you knew this already, so what is the question exactly?

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok lets stop with RO/DI unit lectures he can't have one for apt/landlord reasons that have been documented elsewhere. Yes you can buy bulk activated carbon-- any brand commonly used for reefs will do, and you can buy bulk DI resin much cheaper than the replacement cartridge--- but you knew this already, so what is the question exactly?

+1 Im in the same situation. I live in an apartment and can't really have an RO/Di system..BUT I have this other filter (Aqua Pure) that takes away most proteins, harmful metals, etc. I have 0.01 TDS readings on it, and it works just fine for my tank. I have no algae, just some brown diatom (that is the residue from my cycle), but I'm getting GFO and slowly it'll go away.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The question is: Do I buy the same type of activated carbon that I use in my HOT Magnum filter? It seems to be different. Also, do I get any specific type of di resin? I just don't want to order the wrong stuff. Got enough stress elsewhere in my life.

This is the only filter I can use for the time being, so it's not an option to buy a better RO/DI filter.

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Hey.I'm in an apartment too and I lug my RO/DI to the tub to make water and I had that same product way back when but decided on the system.Got a booster pump and some John Guest tubing and hook it up to the faucet.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Hey.I'm in an apartment too and I lug my RO/DI to the tub to make water and I had that same product way back when but decided on the system.Got a booster pump and some John Guest tubing and hook it up to the faucet.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing- would it be illegal for you to hookup RO/DI in the bathtub just to make water and then store it in the closet?

coralnut99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have this tap water filter: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+4484&pcatid=4484

The media that it has in it is super activated carbon and color-changing ion-exchange resin. You can purchase the replacement filters for it, however, I know that those have got to be a rip off. My question is, what would be the right media to replace in this filter. Would I need to buy both activated carbon and the resin? It sounds like an amateurish question, however I need to know!

I started in the hobby about a dozen years ago with a 29G and used the same exact unit. The cost-effectiveness (rip-off part) depends on your source water and just how much water you use. At that time it worked for me simply because it worked out to about the same price as buying RO water, without having to carry it to and from the car. Thinking back to it, I think you can do exactly as you're thinking in replacing the elements. When I bought mine you couldn't get the DI resin at all. Do some tests on your source water. A Kold-Steril unit may work for you and might be a better investment for the long run. It IS an investment. It worked out great for me. But I can see your case for just replacing the contents of those cartridges, and it shouldn't be tough at all.

acromike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tap water filter that I been using for 5 yrs.I replace the cartrige with the same one.They say they last 100g but they last longer.I never had a problem with my tank yet so as far as they don't work I have to disagree, but I guess it depends on the water in your area.

furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im still weighing this filter vs a real ro/di unit. At $40, i dont mind trying it for about a year and switching to RO/DI when im able to. With a 34g tank i think changes/topoffs will be manageable but im still trying to figure out where to get my startup water from.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have to remember that the difference between this filter and an RODI unit is that the RO filters remove most of the bad stuff out of the water before it gets to the DI filter so the DI filters last much longer. This tap water filter will be exhausted more quickly because there is, let's say, no "prefilter" to help remove the bad stuff. It all depends on your water supply...if it's loaded with crap, you will replace them frequently.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i use one (i think its your old one B)

i live in nyc so my water is pretty clean, but i normally have an incoming tds of around 12-20 and an outgoing of 0.

b is right about the beads flowing through. i just stick a bit of filterfloss under teh white pad above the DI.

as for the carbon, i found the ecorox or whatever its called from BRS works best. the other carbons are generally too brittle, and when you screw the unit back together the little springs that compress the media turn most carbon to dust.

also, just buy a inline tds meter and you wont have to purchase the color-changing resin.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: