• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the basics, 20 gallon tank was completely taken over by a hitching java moss, all attempts to control or get rid of it had failed. So tank is getting redone.

55 watt pc lighting

Plants desired:

Broad Ludwigia (Ludwigia Repens)
Radicon-Marble Queen (Echinodorus Cordifolius)
Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria Subulata)
Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus Calltrichoides)

Substrate: Flourite Red, around 2 inch depth

Questions: Do I have enough lighting for these plants or is there something better to use?

CO2 (yes/no)? System recommendations?

Filtration recommendations?

Anything else?

Fish will occupy this tank after about 1-3 months of nothing but the plants, so the plants can get a good start. Not 100% on type, but South american cichlids (not the bad boys, looking at Apisto's or maybe even Scarlet Badis) are probability.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might need a bit more lighting if you want the L. Repens to maintain a red coloration and the HC to keep closer to the substrate. The Sagittaria and the Sword are less light demanding so those would be OK with your current lighting system IMO/E.

Sagittaria spreads quickly so keep an eye on it if you intend to keep some sort of aquascape, It can overrun a tank in a matter of weeks.

I would inject CO2 especially if you upgrade your lights a small CO2 sytem should suffice for a couple of months and will save you the hassle of DiY systems, which are ok too BTW.

Also a small layer of some nutrient rich substrate under the Fluorite would benefit in the long run, some use potting mix, i currently use just laterite.

Plant heavy from the beginning to suck up nutrients and minimize algae blooms.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gman, what additional lighting would you recommend for this tank then?

Also, as far as CO2 systems, I was looking at some of the more automatic systems. I've seen versions that time CO2 with lights being on, and then the systems that use PH controller to determine when to add CO2. I'm a little unsure of either, seeing problems with both:

Relying on the lighting, if your PH is dropping, the system wouldn't shut off for that, giving you a PH crash that would be disastrous.

Relying on the PH, the system may be adding CO2 at night when that's exactly what the plants are doing at the same time. Which could also be disastrous.

I guess the "ideal" system would do both, however, I'm unaware of such a system. Any recommendations as far as a CO2 system goes?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tazdevil":3crrk6s6 said:
Gman, what additional lighting would you recommend for this tank then?

Also, as far as CO2 systems, I was looking at some of the more automatic systems. I've seen versions that time CO2 with lights being on, and then the systems that use PH controller to determine when to add CO2. I'm a little unsure of either, seeing problems with both:

Relying on the lighting, if your PH is dropping, the system wouldn't shut off for that, giving you a PH crash that would be disastrous.

Relying on the PH, the system may be adding CO2 at night when that's exactly what the plants are doing at the same time. Which could also be disastrous.

I guess the "ideal" system would do both, however, I'm unaware of such a system. Any recommendations as far as a CO2 system goes?

You could I suppose just add a solenoid (on the same timer as the lights) to a system run off a pH controller. That'd insure you'd only dose CO2 while the lights are on and the pH is in the right range. Sounds like overkill to me though, particularly on a 20 gallon tank. I'd just use a solenoid and have a drop checker in the tank... you'd be able to tell at a glance if your pH is dropping really low.

With a 20 gallon tank you're kind of at the upper limit for feasibility with one of the disposible can CO2 systems. I really love the no-hassle nature of those, but on a 20 gallon you'd be replacing cans every 3-4 weeks. You're probably better off with a 5lb refillable can and fittings.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up and running for a few months now, have a small cluster of GHA that likes to stay where it is in the tank, but otherwise, running well. I'll post some pics of setup etc in abit. Now that the tank has calmed down some, I'm going to start dosing dry ferts using the Estimative Index Method, sounds like many on planted tank boards swear by it. I have 1- 65W 65k pc running in a dual system, they where adamant that 2 65w would be way too much light. I am running CO2 from compressed tank as well, using a dual regulator system. Still working on the light/co2 timing for this though, I'm going to try turning the CO2 on 1hour before lights come on, depending on what indicator shows for morning CO2 levels when I can monitor the progress close over a few days (3day wknd).

On a very good note, when I first planted a Rosette Sword (Parviflorus V. Tropica), it immediately sent off a sibling. I have since planted that, and 3 more have sprouted from the main plant. So that one's happy!

edit- I forgot to add, I decided to go with a 28 bowfront, and this was VERY important to using the E.I. method, I have 23 gallons of water to fill tank. This method uses that (actual water amount, not listed tank amount), and planting density to adjust fert dosing.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tazdevil":2t4gv39n said:
Up and running for a few months now, have a small cluster of GHA that likes to stay where it is in the tank, but otherwise, running well. I'll post some pics of setup etc in abit.

Cool!

Now that the tank has calmed down some, I'm going to start dosing dry ferts using the Estimative Index Method, sounds like many on planted tank boards swear by it.

Yeah, they do. Me, I don't like it because I dislike the methodology of "...and if you put in too much, no problem, the 50% weekly water changes you'll do anyway will solve it." If the WCs aren't any big thing to you, though, it is a very workable system.

I have 1- 65W 65k pc running in a dual system, they where adamant that 2 65w would be way too much light.

The 65w should be plenty for most things. If you try keeping carpetting plants they might get a little leggy (my HC did in my 15 under 48w, but really appreciated when I ran it under 96w) but otherwise I shouldn't think you'd have any issues.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics:

Attachments

• setup 1.JPG
    setup 1.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 103
  • setup 2.JPG
    setup 2.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 107
  • setup3.JPG
    setup3.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 102

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 days post planting:

Attachments

• post planting day 5 left.JPG
    post planting day 5 left.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 103
  • post planting day 5 right.JPG
    post planting day 5 right.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 103
  • baby day 5.JPG
    baby day 5.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 104

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby's day of separation, I took these just before seperating the mother plant from this. This one has rooted well since, momma plant shows 3 more sprouts, this one's only been getting bigger since.

Attachments

• baby day 10.JPG
    baby day 10.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 100
  • baby and momma day 10.JPG
    baby and momma day 10.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 99

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: