• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

RichMacys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing sort of a survey on how your Rio failed. Epoxy crack and split? Impeller? Im thinking that re-enforcing the lid with 2part epoxy and or silicone would work to support the epoxy from cracking. Let me know!
icon_confused.gif

dieselboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an impeller wheel snap from the magnetic base for no reason, now it doesn't catch. Also had the the protecting connector thing that goes from the wires to the casing come off, and the wires frayed and shorted...
icon_sad.gif

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though my Rio2100 recently failed, I will not condenm Rio's carte blanche. Rio (or whoever makes them) is obviously a successful company, as larger companies (Aquamedic, for example) have elected to include them as part of their product line. They do not do this with generally inferior products. It's just not good business. That being said, just as automobiles are made to crash a certain way, these pumps should be made to fail in such a way that it does not endanger the environments that they operate in. From previous threads that I have read, this is not the case with the larger Rio's. That fact alone will prevent me from purchasing any product with one of them included. I haven't taken my Rio apart, but the top case was cracked open and there was an oil slick on the water surface. The skimmer had also stopped producing foam, which in this circumstance, is indicative of OIL IN THE WATER!
As far as modifing the product after I buy it, I personally am not interested in that. I want to purchase a product that the engineering has already been done, and am willing to pay for it. I've never regretted buying quality products.

Oh, wait, my soapbox is cracking, better get off!

RichMacys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the input. Im just trying to get more information to possibly remedy the problem so I dont have to chuck out a couple of pumps.

smokinreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey rich,
do a search here and on reefcentral, there was a good thread on rios a few weeks ago. from what i know, it is mostly the 2100 and another model?? that fails.

i had a 2100 that failed/melted. stunk up my basement like burnt plastic/rubber smell. lid was cracked and inside was burnt up. and just FYI it was a UL pump.

HTH

ReefMon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is they do not have a thermal cutout, and the motor overheats to the point of catching on fire when the impeller freezes.

My biggest fear is that someone will have an plumbing accident leaving a RIO running dry in a sump, the pump will catch on fire, then the stand, then the house...

PLEASE, it's not worth the risk of losing your home or life with these pumps.

If this pump were used in household appliances (IE: dishwasher or fountain) the government would have recalled them long ago for being a major fire hazard.

My RIO 2500 used for mixing saltwater
Bad_RIO.jpg

RIO_Tub.jpg

Glenn R

RichMacys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very compelling pics. I recieved my Maxi-Jets tonight and they seem to work awsome! And, for $15 a piece you cant beat em.

MattM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carpentersreef:
<STRONG>... Rio (or whoever makes them) is obviously a successful company, as larger companies (Aquamedic, for example) have elected to include them as part of their product line. They do not do this with generally inferior products. It's just not good business.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just an aside, we got an email from Jason at AquaC last week saying that they will be offering the Remora with the Maxi-Jet 1200 in the near future. Price will be $5-10 higher depending on retail markup. The Remora Pro will be available without a pump, but the pre-skimmer box will be available sized for the Mag 3.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear!

Also, I was just down at my LFS complaining about my Rio, and he informed me that Aquamedic is now suppling their own brand of pumps for their products.

Please let this be the beginning of the end for Rio!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carpentersreef:
[QB]Rio (or whoever makes them) is obviously a successful company, as larger companies (Aquamedic, for example) have elected to include them as part of their product line. They do not do this with generally inferior products. It's just not good business.[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason Rios are widely used is price. Rios are much cheaper then comparable competitors. It has little reflection on the actual quality of product. Imagine a newbie deciding between a $309.95 EV-90 w/ Rio pump and $349.95 EV-90 with Mag pump. I'm gonna guess the Rio wins that decision.

reefmack

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my rio died quietly. a 2500. went in the night and didn't damage anything but refused to work ever again (even after cleaning etc.)... i guess i got lucky from what i'm hearing - but i will never buy another because of the bad press - and the fact that mine died (even if quietly) after 3 months use!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: