PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I have a RO/DI system and i was just wondering how often you change the filters? also at what ppm should i change it at?
lately.. because i just started the tank i have been making a lot of water and i am changing my filters for the second time in a month :( ..also how much do the filters cost to buy new ones?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You did'nt mention what kind of RO/DI you have. The different cartriges are changed at different times depending on the quality of the water being filtered .I don't know if you have a three stage or four stage and gals per day .I plan to buy my next set of cartriges from home depot.Buy one transparent canister put it before the others so you can see the cartrige.

Last edited:

PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
yah.. i mine aren't transparent and i have a 3 stage ..but im not sure how many gpd it is because when i bought my tank it came with it..and i didn't ask for specific details on the ro/di

also how do you know which ones to change at a certain time? bc last time i just changed all 3 and put new ones in

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
The prefilter cartridge is the first to be exhausted most likely you will change the first one more often.They are test kits available do you realy need 100% pour water?Some cartridge may last up to a year. I use mine for drinking and cooking too i haven't changed them in a while i guess i'm too lazy to do it .

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
If you base the prefilter changes on effluent TDS readings then you chance ruining the more expensive R/O membrane vs the inexpensive prefilters.

6 months is for us hobbyist. If you had the ability to measure usage then some manufacturers will tell you to change them at 3000 gallons or something like that.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have a 5 stage 65 gpd unit with added di I have to change the first sediment filter every month otherwise everything else gets muddy. I just took everything apart and even the expensive one (membrane?) was nasty, the compartment was black . It says to change the membrane every 2 years but I go 1 year with that and less than 6 months on the carbon and precarbon . My tds was about 12ppm, with new cartridges it's usually 0 then 4 after a couple of months. I do 15-20 gallon water changes biweekly besides top off of about 2-3 gallons a day and 5 people drink from the unit everyday.
Home depot is kind of expensive on the filters i use filtersdirect or buckeye supply

PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
well i changed the filters after i made all that water to start the tank off because my tds was reading very high ppm when i went to refill the last bucket ..i checked it and it was reading 20ppm but then i made new water the next day for topoff and it was 4ppm ..im just wondering at what ppm should i change it? i only changed it once so far ..i just wanted to know at what tds reading should i change it at? (and Tom check my tank thread you can see how its going :D)

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Hard to explain but in a nutshell, my effluent TDS runs zero. If it gets to 2ppm, I change the DI resin.
My dual TDS meter is hooked up to monitor after the R/O membrane and after the DI resin. This way I can tell when my membrane is shot and also when I need new resin.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: