Truefaith

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,

I am currently using a TWP on my 90 gallon reef and would like to get an RO unit. The TWP was fine with my 58, but the 90 has a lot more evaporation and I need something more economical. I have been looking at the Aqua FX 3 stage Dolphin with intentions of attaching my TWP to it. I have never really seen an RO filter up close, how does it attach to your water supply? Does anyone else in an apartment have an RO filter, especially the Dolphin?

Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes all in one piece withe the filters on the bottom of a mounting bracket with the R/O unit on top of it. It easly mounts under any sink!

HTH
icon_biggrin.gif

slash7

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kent Marine RO system and you can either mount it or keep it portable. Just go to Home Depot and get an adapter for your kitchen faucet for a standard hose fitting. When you need to make up water, unscrew the aerator from your faucet, hook up the RO and make up your water. Afterward you can put the RO unit away and replace the aerator. I know some apartments don't allow any modifications to the plumbing so this is a good alternative.
icon_wink.gif

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep it mobile then make sure you get caps for lines because you dont want your R/O membrane to dry up, it needs to stay wet!

HTH
icon_smile.gif

Jeff Hood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option you have is if you have Washer and dryer hookups. Even if you have your washer hooked up you can get a Y with on off valves. One will go to the cold source of your washer and the other goes to your R/O unit. Just leave the valve off to your unit until you want it to run. There is also a drain right there for your waist water. Check at a plumbing store or Home Depot

Jeff

Truefaith

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies!

Those are the answers I was hoping for. I am going to go ahead and put in my order today!

Thanks again!

Bear-E

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving back into my apartment and will be bringing my RO/DI system with. Where do i get these caps for the lines to keep the membrane wet? Can i just put like duct tape over them?

Barry

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True,

I have the 3-stage Dolphin from AquaFX. It is a very well made piece of gear. I have mine hooked to a utility sink in the basement. The posting about putting it on the water line going to your washer is a great idea.

My advice is to talk to Brian at AquaFX and tell him your situation. He does the actual construction and will build the unit to your exact needs. I think you will be happy with the unit. I know I am very pleased.

Truefaith

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ordered my unit earlier today. I decided on the 100 GPD Dolphin. It was only $20 more than the 50 GPD. I ordered from Atlantis Aquatics. I got the unit for $184 total after shipping cost. It came with a free handheld TDS Monitor ($30 value.)

Thanks again for all the help. I am looking forward to being able to do water changes without cringing at lugging up water, or changing out TWP cartridges constantly. Now I just need to try recharging my cartridges for the TWP and daisy chain that on the Dolphin.

Happy reefing...

Healinbear

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this will be any use to you or not, but here are a few things I've learned about using my RO system in an apartment.

I live on the second floor above the office. One day the manager calls and asks if I'm having a leak in my bathroom. I check, no problem. Satisfied she hangs up. An hour later I realize that I had in fact left my RO unit on. I had wisely placed my bucket in the sink in the kitchen, but it filled to the top and then followed the product water line out of the sink as it spilled over the edge. It made a little bridge to the counter, and then onto the floor, and then into the office downstairs.

Now I set the egg timer when I'm making water in small batches like that so I don't forget.

The other think is a bit of second hand advice. According to the folks at champion lighting (from whom I was trying to buy one) the dissolved solids meters are not worth a dime.

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
True a friend of mine got an RO/DI for his apartment from [email protected] for a really good price. I believe its the Barracuda by AquaFX. He got a garden hose adapter and a kitchen sink adapter (which is the one he uses). Both of these can be removed without problems. His landlord said he would be fined if he tapped into the hotwater heater supply.

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always understood it as NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put hot water thru your RO/DI....as it will damage the membrane, so why would you need to tap into the hot water line?

ronjon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sure it has something to do with billing. he also said supply so me thinks the water would not be hot.

rj

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: ronjon ]

WWiley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truefaith you might want to put a kent shutoff on your uint. RO's account for more spills than just about anything in the hobby. Luck WW

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so those of us that live in apartments and have no washer dryer hookups can have a RO unit, as well? I don't know if I have access to my water heater, never looked. Under a sink sounds easy though.. as long as the apt manager wouldn't friek over it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing to think about.
I have a 100gpd Barracuda and since i am on the top floor of my building, I don't have enough pressure to run my RO/DI from my kitchen sink. I am working on a solution. (bathtub adapter)

Just a thought
b

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: