Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from the Dominican Republic and brought some rock back that I found walking on the beach. Can I put that rock in my established tank or is it not a good idea? I heard if you find a shell on the beach and want to put the shell in your tank that you have to rinse it off. Also you have to put the shell in a can with water from your tank and let it sit because the shell will release ammonia. True or False???? If so is it the same for the rock??

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Depending how big it is it could cause a cycle just like any other live rock.
I would put it in its own tank or bucket with circulation and test the water after a few days. If the parameters are normal I would place it in the tank.

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some golf sized dead coral rocks that washed up to shore in Aruba and I just washed it off in the hotel the same day my flight was coming home. I just threw it in when I got home.

If it's rock and not dead calcified coral then I'd be wary of putting it in the tank and depending on how many pieces you actually got.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: