TRUKINGNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i did a water test yesterday and found my salinity went down to 1.023 from 1.024 i want it at 1.024 (sorry iam ocd lol) iam gonna do a 20% water change today what will i have to make my new saltwater salinity to bring it back up i was thinking of making new saltwater 1.026 will this even it out or is this a bad idea all together thank you for your input in advance

johnny roastbeef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Talentedminds, a topoff will only further reduce the salinity.

I am having the same problem with my system. Over time (just a day or two) I often find that my salinity has dropped from where I thought it was. I guess whats happening is that I am being sloppy with my topoffs, and I'm adding too much RODI.

What I do to correct the problem is just add some extra salt to my change water and add it to my sump, then over the course of a day or so, if the salinity needs a further bump, I sprinkle a small amount of salt into the sump and recheck salinity. I'm not smart enough to figure out how much salt I need to add to do it all in one shot.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It will raise salinty if u top off with saltwater, salt doesn't evaporate. So if u continue topping off with salt it will raise your salinty.

Look at it in a smaller scale Johnny roastbeef:
Say you have a nano tank. You evaporate water salinty raises quicker do to less water volume just top off with salted water at same salinty at you needs ( my salinty 1.026) that will result in you increasing salinty) now if you topped of with fresh water you salinty will return to it's previous before the evaporation.

Do not change salinty to quick. Some recomment .001 a day. Fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: