jjkim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
hey mr members,
i wanted to know if sand shifter and serpent sea starfish eats
hermit crabs and snails like nassarius snails.
i had about 20 hermits with a lot of extra bigger shells but they decreased to 12
and i had 30 nassarius snails but i barely see them.
the most i saw was 5.

so do these two starfish i have eat my crabs and snails?
thanks

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
hey mr members,
i wanted to know if sand shifter and brittle starfish eats
hermit crabs and snails like nassarius snails.
i had about 20 hermits with a lot of extra bigger shells but they decreased to 12
and i had 30 nassarius snails but i barely see them.
the most i saw was 5.

so do these two starfish i have eat my crabs and snails?
thanks

They definitely can and will eat them if they are hungry. I had a brittle star that ate my yellow goby once. It pounced on him late at night. Hope that helps.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
sand sifting star fish wont eat either or, and never heard of a searpent star fish eating them either. most of the time if you get something that eats something out of it's normal realm it is because it was sick or dying, , easy way to find nass snails is when ya feed tank you will see them come out of sand, also how long has the tank been up and did you drip acclimate them

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
still makes no differance, they are carnivors, but any healthy fish or invert should not be eaten by them, rare cases maybe, but healthy have the ability to get away

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
still makes no differance, they are carnivors, but any healthy fish or invert should not be eaten by them, rare cases maybe, but healthy have the ability to get away

You would think so, a few years ago one of my large brittle stars pounced on a small yellow watchman goby at night. I was looking at the tank with a red light looking for worms and watched the entire thing. I was shocked.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
they are carnivores
Care Level: Easy Temperament: Peaceful Reef Compatible: Yes Water Conditions: 72-78? F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025 Max. Size: 1' 2" Color Form: Red, Tan Diet: Carnivore Supplements: Trace Elements Origin: Caribbean, Eastern Asia, Fiji Family: Ophiuridae

brittle stars are omnivores
Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Semi-aggressive Reef Compatible: Yes Water Conditions: 72-78? F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 Max. Size: 10" Color Form: Red, White Diet: Omnivore Supplements: Trace Elements Origin: Caribbean Family: Ophiodermatidae

and certain brittle stars are carnivores also

Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Semi-aggressive Reef Compatible: Yes Water Conditions: 72-78? F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025 Max. Size: 10" Color Form: Black, Red Diet: Carnivore Supplements: Trace Elements Origin: Indonesia Family: Ophiotrichidae

in general with anything there is always the possibility, but usually if something is eating out of its range it usually tends to be from being under fed and or it is catching a sick or diseased fish and or animal

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
I have one that is at least 1 foot across if not longer (green brittle star). Mine has never eaten a snail or fish that was not sick (almost dead). They don't move fast enough. If they are hungry they will try for sleeping fish but rarely have they ever succeeded.
If you are worried put them on the feeding cycle. Mine is on the same feeding cycle as my anemone. I feed by hand 2 or 3 silver sides every 3 to 7 days.
Works for me!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: