wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well seing how successful the 2 recent group buys have gone at least so far i was thinking maybe we should do a big one every 4-6 weeks. Have everyone start submitting places they want to try make a list and just work down it. Have a vote for what place to use each month and give it a shot.

Anybody think this is a good idea?

frostbite

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed that last two group buy, and I am still in need of some inverts (cleaner shrimps, hermits, stars) so I like your idea, but who will orgainize these group buys?

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
whoever volunteers for that month. if noone can then we just wont do one, although with such little response to this thread i dont think many ar interested.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think wedfr's idea is a great idea. Too bad there doesn't seem to be more interest. It'd be nice to try new places and have an excuse to meet our fellow reefers and check out their tanks. :D

We just did a group buy from etropicals, and it didn't turn out too well, at least not in my book. I know there a section for store reviewes here, which I will be adding my experiences. Group buys usually = DISCOUNTS!!!
thumb.gif

Rebels23

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Rebs,

There was just a second group buy from SPSFrags.com and think the overall order was something in the tunes of $850 - even though he didnt' have the clams that most people wanted.
Additionally, we all got one free frag and a deeper discount because the order was so large.

I did the first one and it was a hit or miss thing - I think we did about $700 of business.

I think Danny's idea is a good one, but ther probably needs to be more membership to generate a maintained interest. Just my $.2 - heck if I had the money (and space) I would get a frag a month myself.

One thing I think that might help this idea out is if we decide to buy one thing like Zoos for an order . . or clams for an order - just a thought.

House

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yeah your probably right jim, i have a new basically new tank so i have plenty of room for frags.

The sooz or clams or whatever it may be is a good idea and kind of what i figured woudl happen. i just thought we could get a list of places together that poepel want to try and can either just go down it or vote every month which one to use.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Gang

I think if someone finds a good place they should just put the idea out and see if enough people are interested. Some group buys are going to be large like the last 2 but other times they'll probably be smaller 2-6 people or so. Sometimes 2-4 people is enough to spread out the shipping cost and with the savings on what the frags, corals, fish or inverts cost over the LFS in the area it's still a winning deal.

Also I try and pass the word about the group on to anyone that I see at any of the LFS, specially New World. The more people that we can get the better it will help with group buys and frags exchanges.

Michael

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey House,

I was actually part of that big group buy
I couldn't make it that day, sicne soemthing came up. Missed out on meeting everyone. Anyway, I'm just getting frag and sps happy

Really want to get a clam now too.... :D

Rebels23

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Rebs,

I have been searcing since that day for a site that has clams that we all might want - NOONE has em.

East Coast, cams direct, justphish, spsfrags.com you name it I've been at thier site for the last month trying to see if we can start a group buy.

I am breaking down and paying full retail tomorrow at Ny Aquaria, they have a few really nice green/blue croceas/

I'll let you know how they are - let me know if you want one - they range from 69-99 dollars.

House

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
theres gotta be someplace, i have a ton of links, ill check through them tommorw its too late rigth now i gotta get to bed but ill post back

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Well, I went to three local reef stores this sunday and nothing - the clam selection was as sparce as I have ever seen. I thought I could try and get a group buy with a store, but nothing -

New York Aquaria was closed (I was there 2 sundays ago and it was open :-( )

Reef and Fin in Stamford had a couple, but the prices were prohibitive and HouseofFins (hehehe) had like 3 clams and they were OK at best. I wound up getting a Altheopora (nice piece) and a few snails instead - I felt like I went on a big fishing trip and only caught a few sunnies :-(

Anyway, I'll keep looking and let eveyrone know as I am in the market for a nice blue/green clam.

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: