A

Anonymous

Are we free to discuss experiences with various wholesalers good or bad? In the General Forum we are free to share experinces with various companies and shop around when looking for stuff. Will it be acceptable to do that here? If I have a store and am looking for a new wholesaler because I am unhappy with my current one can I ask for reccommendations from other shop owners specifically by name? Or will be required to discuss then only in vague terms and in general comments?

Glenn

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to ask for recommendations, put out a post stating that. Then ask retailers to email their comments to you. The first commandment of the industry forum is "Thou shalt not name names".
icon_wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
The first commandment of the industry forum is "Thou shalt not name names".

That's what I thought. I don't agree but I will try to abide by it.

Glenn

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rover- the "naming" policy is not because we don't want you to be informed, but because we can't afford to get caught in a lawsuit should be brought against us for comments made by board users.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that doesn't hold true in the general forum. If someone receives poor service from a mailorder company they are free to warn others and if someone has recieved excellent service from a mailorder company or other "service provider" they are free to sing their praises. I don't understand how this is any different.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rover,

It would seem a heck of a lot more likely for a "He said she said" problem to occur here than in the general forum.

I agree with you though, the two policies are different. We really ARE exposed to getting sued for what people say about MO companies in the General Forum but we have "let it slide" there.

Since this is a new forum, which has real potential to cause problems for us, we decided to go with this policy.

Cheers
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that makes sense. And for what it's worth I think the forum is a greaqt idea.

icon_biggrin.gif
Glenn

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Rover ]</p>

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents:

Because this forum is moderated by a wholesaler, I think it intrinsically has more "complications" involved if other wholesalers are discussed here. Someone could take it as ME personally having a bias, even if I don't respond, because it's my forum. The main board isn't moderated by a mail order company, so there's no perceived conflict of interest there.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the double standards abound, don't they Mary? There ARE a couple of pretty popular forums (one of them USED TO be the biggest even) that are paid for and moderated by MO aquarium companies. None of the people who use them seem to care...

It's a mad mad mad mad world...
icon_smile.gif

Cheers
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: