surfing pooch

surfingpooch
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in using natural sea water. I just read Pauls 25 year journal and was wondering about what steps to take, he said he used bleach and then a chlorine remover. That sounds risky? how else could you filter it. I will be collecting water from rockaway, is it to polluted what about parasites? is this a bad idea?

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I believe its too polluted and i wouldn't try it. If you want some nice water you need to go to the islands. Nothing near NYC is suituable for our saltwater fishies. But get a second opinion.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Why?

Two buckets of Instant Ocean will cost $70 shipped to your front door. That's 320 gallons worth of saltwater. How much time and money do you think it will cost you to collect and treat 320 gallons "natural" seawater.

Steveb

jgiordano

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to mix salt and ro water there seem to be 2 options that are better than rockaway water. People (including myself) successfully use both. Many people debate about issues with them. Som say they have phosphates and nitrates. I stick with catalina and it has never tested for either with me using instant ocean and red sea test kits. Catalina is sold in Petco and costs $10 dollars for 5 gallons.

This is easier for me since I only have a 25 gallon tank.

1) Catalina water
2) Nutri Sea water

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
if you are going to collect seawater correctly u need to go about 5 miles out to reduce the amount of contaminants. Any closer and you have to deal with boat traffic (fuels and oils as well as whatever else comes off the boats) and runoff/ treated water. It's not worth it when the results from R.O. and salt mixes speak for themselves. Not to mention the potential for unknown parasites and pathogens that can cause problems with your fish, which are most likely predominantly pacific species anyway.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: