A

Anonymous

Junk
Anyone know of any good mods? I plan on buying a Berlin as soon as I can aford it. Id just like to make the seaclone work till I can get some money saved up. Thanks.

Ryan

A

Anonymous

Hi Ryan,

The best modification I can think of for the seaclone (besides throwing it away) is to install a more powerful pump, usually a Rio with the venturi rejuvination added.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

unfortunatley(sp?) I have had to address this problem also...I'm running a seaclone on a 55 gall tank/reef
I have found that a good quality air stone....wood, or ceramic.. run down the inner tube from the top through the colloection cup and powered be a high volume air pump can prodice quite noticable results in skimming production...however this skimmer is not for a large tank and should not be used for anything bigger in my opinion that say a 30 gallon tank... as soon as I can get myself a new skimmer this one is histry
hth... see ya...good luck

A

Anonymous

How do you get the newly cut inner riser tube back into the base of the skimmer???

BTW......FWIW......I have a seaclone running on a 20 long that skims pretty well right out of the box. I have it running wide open with just the airfilter sponge in the air intake.......I only have a small percula that gets fed once maybe twice a day so I don't have a high nutient input but I still think the skimmer works well.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
A lot of people gently pry the riser tube out, cut it, then press it back in with a piece of wood, needle nose plyers, someone with smaller hands, etc. I simply cut it in place with a dremmel a little at a time.
HTH.
Mike

------------------
See my tank at
http://users1.ee.net/ohioart/abzutu/the_real_webpage001.htm

[This message has been edited by Targus (edited 27 January 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I've made most of the suggested modification to the SeaClone on my 30-gal reef and I'm pulling out nearly a cup of dark gunk a day.
1. Change the air valve--This made a tremendous difference; not only more gunk but less frequent adjustment required.
2. Add air stone
3. Cut down the riser tube
It's not that difficult to get the riser tube out. Grab it with a pair of needle-nose pliers, gently rock the tube back and forth and it will become detached from the base. After you've cut it down, it will easily slide back into the base.
4. Keep it CLEAN. I was shocked at the increase in gunk after cleaned out the pump and the accessible tubing. The collection cup pretty much needs to be cleaned every day.

One of the modification pages also recommended cutting down the riser tube in the collection cup but I can't figure out how to accomplish this. Ideas anyone?

I said this before somewhere: since it has been suggested that we over-skim our tanks (and thus pull out a bunch of trace elements that can only be replaced with supplements and/or water changes), I feel like my SeaClone is a reasonable alternative on a small tank. (Perhaps I'm just justifying--I definitely wouldn't buy another one.)

A

Anonymous

I've also found wrapping something around the tube from the pump to the skimmer improves the water flow. I was having problems with algae clogging this tube and really cutting back the flow when it was exposed to too much light.
However, when I've saved enough for a better skimmer this mistake is consigned to a very dark corner. Spending £100 on this thing was a very bad idea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: