A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jadefox":3ae7xiih said:
I'm currently in PNG shadowing the SEASMART program for an article. What do you want to know about the program?

How much is collected to how much is shipped...
Amount of daily/weekly flights that carry shipments of MO..
Bag time to US...

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday night's shipment was in transit for 27 hours, and the total bag time was, on average, 34 hours for most of the fishes (depending, of course, on what time the importer unpacked the boxes and started acclimation). Thirty-one boxes were shipped.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ret,

Your great grandpa is "Bull" Halsey - how cool is that!

I'm certainly jealous of your trip to PNG - my friends on the UW photography "jet set" go there all the time but I never get to go.

Cheers
James

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":1s7ru4x6 said:
James, find time to go. Seriously.

I'd second that! And don't fret all the hype about how dangerous it is here (use common sense, mind you). I swear these are some of the friendliest people I have ever met! In terms of the marine aquarium industry here, once the SEASMART operation starts working out of the north coast, you're going to see some pretty cool endemics, I think.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jadefox":1m836oyo said:
Saturday night's shipment was in transit for 27 hours, and the total bag time was, on average, 34 hours for most of the fishes (depending, of course, on what time the importer unpacked the boxes and started acclimation). Thirty-one boxes were shipped.

Pretty sure I saw some of those yesterday @ 104th and I must say the clowns look tattered :( Hopefully what I saw was just the bad ones.

Those are super low numbers for a export station to ship. Hopefully they can ramp up as with so few boxes, fish will sit around longer then a week. I know, I know, collect to order :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":czvd3u5r said:
Jadefox":czvd3u5r said:
I'm currently in PNG shadowing the SEASMART program for an article. What do you want to know about the program?

How much is collected to how much is shipped...

This is the biggest question I had though as it gets right to the heart of the problem with new stations coming online and not having enough customers to ship to. I've witnessed this one a half dozen times and none worked out all that great. The ones that suffered the most were the poor fish.

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":39oojzkt said:
Pretty sure I saw some of those yesterday @ 104th and I must say the clowns look tattered :( Hopefully what I saw was just the bad ones.

Those are super low numbers for a export station to ship. Hopefully they can ramp up as with so few boxes, fish will sit around longer then a week. I know, I know, collect to order :lol:

I have not seen the report from the importer on the shipment, but I can say the clowns were looking very nice before they left. The percs here are really beautiful.

With only a few villages fishing at present, and, yes, collecting to order :lol:, the number of fishes held in the facility longer than a week is kept to a minimum. Remember, this program is still a trial program which, in essence, is being subsidized while the program builds capacity). Having said that, volume will be critical as the facility looks to financial viability, and the importers on 104th will need to continue to step up (a few have been loyal supporters of the program already). The freight situation has improved dramatically, and it is likely (or so I'm told) that three shipments a week with sub-30 hour transit times to LAX may soon be a reality.

I think the best case scenario for SEASMART, and the PNG fishery in general, would be to build the PNG brand so that there is demand for an animal that is collected sustainably and which benefits the socio-economic development of a developing island nation. I compare it frequently to organic wines and cage-free chickens, if you catch my drift. Of course some knock-your-socks-off endemics would really help. :wink:

Just some musings off the top of the old noggin...I'd love to hear your thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem is they keep saying the freight will improve and sales will go up. Remember, this is not a "new" program that started just last year. It's been going for several years with the same claims being put forth, quicker and more plentiful flights.

I'm no stranger to SeaSmart don't forget :)

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":1jrppq2g said:
problem is they keep saying the freight will improve and sales will go up. Remember, this is not a "new" program that started just last year. It's been going for several years with the same claims being put forth, quicker and more plentiful flights.

I'm no stranger to SeaSmart don't forget :)

I know you're no stranger to SEASMART :D . Having said that, some things have changed. Remember that this program has a three year contract with National Fisheries Authority to establish the protocols and suss out the financial viability (so one more year). Villages continue to be trained as I write, and 25 new fishers just graduated yesterday at a village a few hours south of Port Moresby. The freight situation has improved dramatically (now weekly under 30 hours), and, while this may just be talk, I have had it independently verified that the schedule will move to 3x/week POM-Bribane-LAX. I'm obviously just reporting what I'm seeing on the ground. No doubt the PNG brand now needs to be built so that there is market demand, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you guys have seen these pictures elsewhere, but I thought I would post pictures of two of the coolest fishes I saw in PNG.

Attachments

• PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish small.jpg
    PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish small.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Gold Nugget Wrasse 1.jpg
    Gold Nugget Wrasse 1.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,278

SEASMART1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

If anyone has any questions they would like to ask about the SEASMART Program, I/we will do our best to answer them. Thanks.

David

David Vosseler
SEASMART Program Director

PeterIMA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, I am happy to hear that SEASMART is producing net-caught fish from PNG and that new airline connections will allow them to reach LA in a more timely manner. This will benefit both the trade and the fishers in PNG.

SEASMART's programs are similar to those which were initiated by the IMA in 1986, and subsequently by the Marine Aquarium Council since 2000. Net-caught fish have lower DOA and lower DAA (based on my own studies of fish exported from the Philippines and Indonesia).

Cyanide is not a problem yet in PNG. It is still a big problem in the Philippines, Indonesia, Veitnam, and Malaysia for the capture of marine aquarium fish (MAF). The expansion of the LIve Reef Fish (LRF) trade for capture of food fish (groupers) to east Africa and throughout SE Asia suggests that cyanide use is now much more widespread. In both cases (MAF, LRF) more sustainable methods (nets, hook and line) were implemented by the IMA.

SEASMART's programs are to be commended. Further trainings and other alternative livelihoods are needed to deal with destructive fishing. I encourage importers, retailers, and hobbyists to support this initiative that can help conserve coral reefs while supporting a more sustainable marine aquarium trade.

Peter Rubec, Ph.D.
East Asian Seas and Terrestrial Initiatives
2800 4th Street North
Suite 123
Saint Petersburg, FL 33704
Tel. 727-327-9226
Cell. 727-242-3629

anative

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to see the SEASMART program in action for yourself? Come to MACNA 2010
in Orlando and enter for a chance to win a trip to PNG:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: