A

Anonymous

I was gonna stay out of this but against my better judgement I'll throw this out as a thought.
Sharks are *wild* animals just as *any* animal we put in our tanks, try to domesticate in our homes ( whether it be cats or dogs ), etc..
They don't know any better, they are doing what comes naturally to them. It bit off a childs arm. Did the shark know in human terms that was wrong ? No.
Have you ever been bitten by a fish ( any fish ) in your tank when you put your hand in your tank ? Most likely.
You read stories of dogs attacking children, cats attacking people.
I think the point I'm trying to make is that were ever you are, the highway, the ocean, the swimming pool, your tank, etc. there are risks in life, and you should be aware of those.
Breathing is a risk, swimming is a risk, driving is a risk, etc., heck being put on this earth is a risk.
I'm not defending the shark, I'm not defending the killing of the shark, I'm just stating the facts as they are..............

Regards,
David Mohr

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the initial question raised in the thread title....No, I haven't been bitten. But I did read several books thoroughly before taking up scuba diving about 10 - 15 years ago....

Worldwide shark attacks: approx. 75 - 100.
Worldwide fatalities due to shark attack: 10 or less.
Most occurred in shallow water.
Half occurred in Florida.

Just an FYI....

DeathWish302

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esmithiii:

So what your saying is revenge cures all??? I do feel sorry for the boy and his family, but the fact of the matter is he was in the SHARK'S territory. Same if your kid comes in my fenced in yard to get his ball and gets mauled. The dog thinks it's a intruder and the shark thought it was a intruder. Yes it's sad, but don't blame the animal for animal nature.

RonJon, Snafuforyou:

To answer your question: NO!!! I took a risk by swimming in the ocean, just like you take risks driving, flying, eating, etc.. Would it be sad, yes. But bottom line, it's my resposibilty to know the dangers and to deal with the circumstances.

On a final note: this has gotten way out of hand. You guys and (maybe) gals have taken me to be a tree huggin' animal rights activist. WRONG!!!! If you were to jump over my fence into my yard that is clearly marked " Danger Trained Attack Dog," i can't feel sorry for your stupidity. You cannot tell me for a minute the boy's parents didn't know the risk. It is a shame that it had to happen and my sympathy and support goes out to the boy and his family. Don't turn this into a "Cirrus" thing that happen several months ago. I was just stating an opinion and everyone blew it out of proportion. (I'll be waiting for the hate messages and email, they're bound to come).

DW302

Lefty1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DeathWish302:
<STRONG>esmithiii:

So what your saying is revenge cures all??? </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but the kid got his arm back!

RR
icon_biggrin.gif

gama1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kid was only eight years old guys. I don't think he thought about the odds of getting attacked by a shark. Not only that - he's not even from Florida. I know if I went to Florida and went swimming in 3 feet of water, I sure wouldn't expect a shark to be lurking there. Of course, I live nowhere near an ocean and I wouldn't know this type of information (maybe this is the case in the situation).
I can definitely say that if this happened to my son I would want someone to try and get his arm back. I feel bad for the shark too, but when it comes to the shark or my son's physical and emotional well being, my son wins hands down.

Jazzcat

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something here? In the pic above, it looks like the paramedic and other guy are putting the shark in the gurney for a trip to the hospital! I guess they left the boy there to die. :P

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deathwish drives trains, ha ha ha ha ha. Te hee he. Yea man rock on,choo choo. Im not surprised youve got a twisted outlook on life , especially when you WANTED to drive trains. Has this been your DRIVING ambition. he he he he. Chooo choo. I bet you get all excited when the tunnels come dont you, there all dark and scary and deathwishy, choo choo. I bet you siut in your train drivers seat with your train drivers hat on listening to Mrylin Manson (who is as sad as you) chooo choo. Nice Job Man Choo choo. And the funniest thing is thta you even make out that driving trains is like complicated or something. Chooo choo. You Sad Bastard!!!!!
icon_razz.gif

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my god, Death wish thinks he's got an (killer attack rottie). If you really have trained your Rotwiller to attack then i hope it has the sence to rip that extreemly small Penis you seem to be trying so hard to compensate for off of your stinking body. Oh yea and he drives trains.,. he he he he he choo choo.
icon_razz.gif

snafuforyou

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
deathwish,
Tell the truth-if you went in the ocean and a shark bit off your arm would you want someone to try and retrieve it?
or would you say to the shark bon appetite?

RUaBatfish2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if that shark swam off with the arm, the authorities would have still hunted this shark down and killed it. In this circumstance where the shark had the boy's arm, I think they really had to do it, regardless of the animal's rights. This was an unfortunate incident, but we have to respect the shark's domain and remember we are entering their territory and that's the risk we take.

gazpep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those stats are interesting. I know that in Australia a high percentage of the attacks are attributed to Great Whites, hence the ratio of fatalities is very high relative to other parts of the World. Great Whites often take divers and board riders. Areas with seal colonies in the vicinity are particularly hazardous. South Australia has some monster Whites in those waters.

bgdiving

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 6 bull sharks come join us on a dive this past year, just the wk before a man in St Pete was killed by a bull shark in the bay. They were impressive 6 ot 8 footers with one maybe up to 10ft. We had about 45ft visibility but the bait fish were so thick they would frequently shut the vis down to about 3 ft then all of sudden they would part and a big bull shark would suddenly be approaching about 5 ft away and then would turn as he got to about 3ft. The 2 to 3 ft amber jack were feeding on the bait fish and the sharks were feeding on the amber jacks. the sharks stayed with us for about 45 minutes. The bull shark is a very husky shark and very impressive to see up close in their environment.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: