A

Anonymous

I just finnished building my hood and turned on my 250w metal halide. I will be only running the MH for 1 hour a day and in a few 2 hours and so on.

Should I also relocate my shrooms that I can to a lower and partialy shaded area or will they adjust?

55 gallon

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my own personal experience, it didn't matter where they were when I had 175 watt MH. When I upgraded to 250 watt last year, my shrooms declined, until I figured out they needed more shade. They are doing well in the back of the tank and in shaded areas, but I had to move the ones that were directly in the open. So, I would put them in caves or overhangs and they should be fine. Just keep them shaded. HTH

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: myreef ]

Terry McGee

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all ; When we trade or aquire new shrooms that is under anything but halides and we put them in our tanks on the bottom. They shrink up for a period of time until the zoo gets adjusted to our halides. Every one we have, and that is about twenty or so different kinds, gets along under the halides. Ya All take care ,, Terry

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if they are accustomed to lower light levels they will be shocked a bit under the new lights but I have found them to adapt over time. You may want to give them some shade though I'd probably just watch them and see how they react. Usually shrooms that were fully expanded and even stretching to maximize surface area for zooxanthellae will just shrink in size and hug the rocks tightly. This doesn't mean they are dying, they are just minimizing now their surface area. I've got some directly under 400W MH that are actually now getting frilly and expanding well, however they don't stretch and hug the rocks closely.

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave & Ivy,

Keep me up to date on that on our board, I just got my dual 250's for that 150. LMK also how many hours ya'll are running the MH. I should be putting water in it this weekend. I will put pictures on the club page too. Take Care

Joe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: