Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 700 gph overflow box kit going to be to much for a 29 gallon display with a 20 gal sump? Trying to determine which kit to get . Was looking at the glass holes 700 gph overflow box kit if anyone has any suggestions? Thanks!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Last edited:
C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Better to go bigger then smaller. When you buy the overflow box the U tubes might have foam in it. Remove the foam before using it. I thought the foam was a form of filtration and left it in. It got filled with gunk, restricted the flow and had a minor flood. Then I learned that the foam wasn't suppose to be in.

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys ! @ cu I'm not playing on a hang on so there won't be a tube ( I believe) I'm drilling into the back, I wanted to do a stand pipe but I am going to have a box with teeth instead of one all the way down. Is there a way to keep it quiet as well with this set up?

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have the same one. you can find it in my build thread. it works great. it does get a bit noisy but a bit filter fiber removes all of that, plus gives you a bit more mechanical filtration. My return pump is an 800gph no name pump.

works great in my 29, i would say get it teeth but without the cover. also remember to plan accordingly because the water goes up an inch on the teeth. Also, its best to go with the 700 anyway incase you ever want to upgrade, u can bring it with you

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clink51 thanks a ton for the info, I just order the 700 off glass holes and I believe it has teeth from the picture . No cover tho figured if use mesh to keep the snails out. Do you have a single bulkhead in ur 700 or do you have 2 the second being back up? I was considering a back up in case there is a backup. Your no name pump works good? Where did u get it an how much was it if u don't mind me asking in trying to get this done by Christmas

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
@tonyscoots I did this before cuzzin! Plus why not get other input, what size return pump do I have to get in order to keep up

If you're going to ask for advice, you should actually read the responses.

You're overflow(drain) keeps up with your return pump not the other way around.

If you have a 700gph overflow and a 350gph return pump you will have 350gph turnover.

Last edited:

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
@clink51 thanks a ton for the info, I just order the 700 off glass holes and I believe it has teeth from the picture . No cover tho figured if use mesh to keep the snails out. Do you have a single bulkhead in ur 700 or do you have 2 the second being back up? I was considering a back up in case there is a backup. Your no name pump works good? Where did u get it an how much was it if u don't mind me asking in trying to get this done by Christmas

i bought it off a member here for a package deal with the sump and other good stuff. Its 800 but i have it tuned down a 20-25% because it was returning more water then could drain on time

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jimmy thanks wise one let me rephrase for you buddy. What would the experts suggest in regards to return, match my gph of drain (700) or go less. Would it make a difference in sense of performance or overall success of my tank @29 gallons

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Return pump makes a difference. At lower rates, =/< 700 the return will be able to keep up. at >700, your gonna have to throttle the return pump so that it doesn't empty your return compartment on the sump or worse, flood the tank. Mag 7 is set for 700gph, at, im guessing here, 4 foot head, its perfect for this application. Will def go with one if and when this one stops working or with my 40 setup (if i ever get to doing it)

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
@jimmy thanks wise one let me rephrase for you buddy. What would the experts suggest in regards to return, match my gph of drain (700) or go less. Would it make a difference in sense of performance or overall success of my tank @29 gallons

Not THE wise on but am pretty wise thanks.

To answer you with some WISDOM you don't want 700gph turnover in a 29G tank there buddy ol' pal.

You'd be blowing water over the end of your tanks and your livestock would suffer.

If you're not going to run a mandifold off whatever pump you get and it's only going to be feeding the tank again:

You want 7 - 10 times tank volume turn over per hour. Then oversize your overflow so it won't fall shy of your pump and give you issues.

The wise one has spoken.

Last edited:

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wise ars that's actually wise! Pretty funny, at that. But in all seriousness thanks for the help regardless of how it was given lol . Does anyone know if u can dial back the mag 7 to 300 gph to meet the standards!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: