dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am now on day 4 of cycling my tanks.

I decided to turn on my skimmer this morning to let it break in.

Eshopps gives no real instruction on how to operate a skimmer.

For some people this is not a problem, but for someone who is building their first tank, it's a bit concerning.

I had no problems on following the directions on how to put it together, but beyond putting it together, there is no real info. Please see pic below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

skimmer.jpg

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
it should tell you an operating water level in sump. their should be a valve to adjust water level in skimmer, from the pic it looks low, bring it up to the top of neck below cup.
as far as breaking it in, i don't know how.

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
my sump is made by eshopps as well (adv-200)

considering i have the skimmer in the "skimmer" compartment, i would have assumed it's the proper water level before water overflows into the return pump compartment.

it says 8 - 10 inches.. it seems water overflows at the 10 inch mark.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
First off a new skimmer can take a few weeks to break in. Especially if your cycling a new tank. You need to raise the water level in the skimmer to the edge of the neck where the skimmer cup attaches. For the first two weeks though i would leave it wide open the way you have it.l during the break in.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
actually the picture looks like its creating good foam. I would adjust the water level to where the bubbles are overflowing into the cup. Take your time adjusting it because its very sensitive.

Affordable Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I use these skimmers a lot, and they work very well. Try this, shut the skimmer off, and make sure its about half full of water. If not, fill it at least half way. Then pinch the air tube which comes from the pump, preventing any air flow. Power the skimmer back on, and you should see that head of foam move up and into the neck. Dont worry about it over flowing a little. Once the foam is up at the top of the skimmer release the hose and you should be in business. I recently installed 2 eshopps skimmers and they both were pulling on the first day.

Let me know if you need any help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: