BILBO913

If fish could scream.....
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey all got a question for you guys about a skimmer. i have a 150 aga rr tank the skimmer i have is the new version coralife 65. it was going to be a fowler but im finding its slowly changing to a mixed reef. do you think this skimmer is acseptable or should i look into something different. btw the 65 is pulling lots of crap out of the water. thanks for the help

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I think as you change over to a mixed reef, your gonna need much finer skimming than what a CL can offer. If you wanna stay cost efficient, I'd go with something like a Vertex In skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The issue is with dry skimming. For hard corals like SPS and LPS, IMO the CL does not produce a fine bubble and therefore will skim wet and take out large particulates from the water column. What you need is a skimmer that produce very fine bubbles which will pull out more dissolved nutrients and waste from the water in a dry skim fashion.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
What's your budget? The best way is to figure out what your willing to spend and then finding the best skimmer in that range.

BILBO913

If fish could scream.....
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
well as me all know you get what you pay for and most of us want the best for the least amount of cash possible. but i am willing to spend some cash to keep everything happy. somewhere in the 200 250 range, im assuming i cant get something decient in the range?

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
IMHO, if your spending the money to upgrade, go with a higher end skimmer. Even save up for an extra 2 months so you can get a Cone skimmer for $400-$500. When your in that range, your in the "pretty darn good" class of skimmers. I'm partial towards cone skimmers because I think thy perform better with the elimination of sharp edges in the body. Reef Octopus Super Reef Cones are pretty good. If you don't want to spend more, then a Vertex would be my choice at the $200-$300 range.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Without a doubt, some skimmer work better than others. To my surprise, there was an article in Advanced Aquariast and also the author was a lecturer at the MR reef swap. He compared a number of skimmers ( maybe around 7 or so), and the results were surprising. One the most expensive skimmer removed the most bad stuff, while a surprise 2nd place went to a much cheaper cost skimmer.

Probably good to read that article.

PS. In addition, it was highly recommended that Carbon is very good at reducing bad stuff. A phosban reactor with GFO was also recommended.

PSS. When, I talked to the author after the lecture, he strongly recommended Carbon as a big way to reduce the bad stuff.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: