Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just recently filled my new 90G tank with water. I have also installed a durso standpipe and it is quiet as can be....almost. The water that drains into the sump is filled with a good deal of air bubbles. Normally this might not be a problem, however my sump is not covered and the bubbles are generating a large amount of salt splash, salt creep and are not the quietest. The standpipe has a small hole on the top and it makes no noise up there. I did have to make the slim version so it would fit into my overflow box.

So does anyone know who to fix the bubble problem or at least why this is happening?

Steve

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some more info:

I do have the water coming down into the pump in a 1.5" pvc pipe, it elbows out to a "T". I did this to try and have the water go down the T and the air go up the T and not into the sump. It worked a little but not much.

So are air bubbles coming down the standpipe just something I have to deal with?

Any help? Suggestions?

Steve

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your water level in the sump? When the bubbles reach the surface they pop and you get some minor splashing / salt creep build up from that. Shouldn't be anything major.

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the water level in the sump is high and the bubbles are major. I am not worried about something that is going to happen, I am worried cause it already is happening. I have a make-shift cover over that area of the sump to stop the salt creep but feel that is a bandaid to the problem not a solution.

Any suggestions?

Steve

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, do you have the overflow pipe dumping into something in the sump such as a bucket? Is your overflow pipe under the water in the sump?
Steve

kjb

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem... either listen to the water splash with the return pipe above the water line -or- listen to the gurgling. I got large bubbles being pushed through my flexible pipe.
What I did to solve the problem was to puncture a row of holes into the top of the tubing which allowed the air to escape.
I think I understand that you have a t with one end open and exposed to the air. It sure sounds like it should work. Maybe it does not because it created in effect an aditional drain pipe where the flow becomes free and must all once again fit into the downward section. This sounds silly but try reducing the opening by doing the same trick as on your Durso mod... Cap the t and drill a small hole in the cap??? At least it would be an inexpensive experiment.
Failing that - You might also try having a larger downward drain using an expansion fitting to make the pvc larger.
Another crazy idea would be to just drill some holes along the top of the horizontal run of your return pipe.
Hope that this all makes sense, and maybe even helps.
icon_smile.gif

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and I will try your suggestions. I thought I was doing something totally wrong there for a moment.

I will try the cap and the small hole on the top of the T. I have already expanded the pipe below the tank from 1" to 1.25" to 1.5" with only mild decrease in bubbles each time.

any other suggestions?
I hope this works and thanks!

Steve

Rorschach

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I cut the return pipe into the sump right below the water level to make it silent, but it had the small bubbles that grew salt creep. Now I wrap 1/3 section of the blue/white sponge looking filter media that every pet store sells around the end of the pipe and change it when it gets dirty because there is some mechanical filtration with this setup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: