gkrane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some snails can scratch the surface of acrylic tanks. I hope this is not the case since i plan on setting up a 180 gallon acrylic.. I have always felt that at least some snails are neccessary for algae control as well as sand sifting benefits...please let me know if you have any info on this...

XXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only bad scratch I have was caused by an astrae snail. It had a sharp edge on the underside of the shell which I was able to break off. I guess some off the small scratched could have also been caused by snails, I don't know. My acrylic tank has been stocked with 50-75 snails for 16 months. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I know a snail scratched my acrylic tank is when I removed the snail while I was wiping down the tank. I moved the snail therefore HE scratched it.
icon_biggrin.gif
I wouldn't worry about it either.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple of acrylic tanks but they've never been scratched by a snail. The only problem I ever had like that was a chiton that set up home base at the sand level in the front. He scratched the he%% out of it but only at the sand level. After a few years I was afraid he was weakening the tank at that spot so I removed him (THAT wasn't easy!) He had quite a deep groove going there...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: