DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have had issues with my bicolor blenny picking at (and eventually killing) a long tentacle plate coral and favias. I've recently added a lot of SPS and I've seen him picking at most of the frags, but it didn't see like he was causing that much damage. In the pics I uploaded I am just wondering if the lack of polyps and tissue is from the blenny nipping at them or if it is melting or RTNing or something like that.

The fist 3 pics are of a pocillopora. Just the base and one side seem has no polyps

4th is a yellow milli. There are 2 circular areas that have no polyps along with the tips. I was thinking that the tips might be new growth, but am not sure.

5th and 6th are an ORA red planet acro. The bottom and up one side has missing polyps/tissue.

I have seen the blenny picking at all of these frags but didn't see him do it that frequently. Before I knew it there were some major issues!

New to the SPS game so not sure what is what when it comes to issues like this!!! Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC02300.jpg
    DSC02300.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC02298.jpg
    DSC02298.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC02299.jpg
    DSC02299.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC02301.jpg
    DSC02301.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC02302.jpg
    DSC02302.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC02303.jpg
    DSC02303.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
bi color blenny r known to nip. sps/clams,etc...

Didn't know he nipped until he was in the tank nipping! On a website it said reef safe and LFS guy said he was reef safe so I went and bought him. I found out recently not to trust liveaquaria as per the advice of another MR member, but also completely wrong of conflicting information that I've found on there....

O well, my next question is how am I gonna get rid of him and who wants him??

Do these pics look like the BCB did the damage or something else?

...I'm in the process of switching over to ESV salt over a 3-4 week period of mixing some ESV and some old salt, upping the ESV each WC until its 100% so as to not suddenly change stuff. I was planning on retesting all params once I'm done with that process to see what my new baseline values are. Bulk Reef Supply 2-part is coming Tuesday and once I have the ESV at 100% I was going to start dosing. So I don't have the real time params right now.

sil3ncio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Get him out, had the same problem with mine... But he solved the problem by jumping out the tank while I was out! And I have a mesh cover....

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So does anyone have any opinions if this is my blenny or if it is a water quality issue? Do I need to test parameters and post that in order to get a response haha?

While it wouldn't be a bad idea to test your water and post all of your parameters (changing salt should not affect it much- and you can post what your prior salt mix was), you stated in your first post he already nibbled his way through a plate coral and you have seen him nip at your SPS..so yeah, he needs to be re-homed (sounds so much nicer that way :)) to someone elses tank if you want to keep SPS in there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: