Evo_boi81

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 8x55w pc + 2x36w pc + 1x36w fl enough to maintain SPS in my 4x2x2 tank? I plan to put all SPS to the top of my rockwork so that they can receive more light. I do not wanna get MH b'cos of the heat and i am not prepared to buy a chiller. Any ideas how to keep SPS at a low cost or is there no other ways except MHs?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of SPS are we talking about? You could maintain lagoonal species, such as Montipora digitata, but I wouldn't try acroporids. There are species of Acropora that are lagoon/more turbid zone-dwelling, but its near impossible to know this for imported or propagated animals, as the first problem is taxonomy, which is impossible with living acroporids, and the second problem is not know where the parent animal dwelt before original collection.

MIKE NY1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef_Newbie, I currently have some Sps under Pc lighting and they are doing fine, just keep them high, but I don't think you can't beat Mhs for coloration and growth.

Mike

SeaView

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie,

If you really want to keep SPS you should go for the MH lighting. If you place a fan or two correctly over the water surface you will be able to maintain the temp. My tank rarely gets above 82 degress.

Stevo

CTaylor

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept acros under 84 total watts PC in my 15 gallon reef: '15 gallon reef' . Tank is not around any longer... Just moved up in size. I had awesome polyp extention and nice color. Acros kept mid-way and above no problems. Though I tried only 3 species, pretty much randomly. All three did well.

Your lighting seems at least as intense per unit area as mine was.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: