kevinclement

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having white patches on my Green Starburst Polyp. I have freshwater washed and brushed it off, but it still comes back!

Please let me know what it is and how to take care of it.

See attached pics

Attachments

• 200912009.jpg
    200912009.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 447
  • 200922009.jpg
    200922009.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 462
  • 200932009.jpg
    200932009.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 462
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be the normal slough off / detrious collection from the colony, though its hard to be sure from the pictures. Is the colony opening normally? I'd just periodically blow it off (a turkey baster works really well for this) and see if that doesn't help.

kevinclement

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":3gm0giwz said:
It looks to be the normal slough off / detrious collection from the colony, though its hard to be sure from the pictures. Is the colony opening normally? I'd just periodically blow it off (a turkey baster works really well for this) and see if that doesn't help.

The colony is not opening and I have freshwater scrub and washed a number of times!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sometimes they do that IME they don't open for awhile but you can't hardly kill those things. I'd leave it alone, blow off the white stuff as I said and see what happens.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NMreefer":npkgvt5l said:
Check your iodine levels. Some here may say it doesn't matter, but it did to my stars.

Actually, checking all the levels wouldn't be a bad idea.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than keeping an eye on it for any recession, there isn't much you can do. I still think it'll open up when it is ready to do so lol-you can't hardy kill GSPs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSPs do sometimes fade away for apparently no reason. Dawg's given you some good advice though - probably the best thing is to leave it alone for now and hope it recovers. Resist the temptation to take it out of the tank and try lots of different remedies! In desperately trying to find a cure for an indeterminate condition, you might end up stressing the coral to the point where it does actually weaken terminally.

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a small bucket of salt water and a toothbrush and brush that white stuff
off while holding it underwater. The purple protective mat they hide in should take
a reasonable gentle scrubbing. Then I would dip it in lugol's solution and put it back
in the tank or into a quarantine for a few days.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: