Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so a little info. This is my first tank ever! I already have the tank waiting for the stand to come in later this week. I could use some help deciding what else to get. This is what i plan on so far any input would be nice.

Lighting- ai vega with new controller
Sand/substrate- bio active arag alive black
Live rock- 35 pounds

Won't even think about inverts / fish till tank will finish cycling .

Theres a spot for a small refugium in the back so I think il put some chaeto in there if I actually find any around my lfs but haven't see any yet. My only concern is lighting for the fuge.

The im protein skinner in place of 1 of the media baskets

I'm thinking of ordering the in tank media basket to replace the stock 1 and putting purigen , chemi pure elite and a filter floss.

As for salt I will buy the bucket of instant ocean reef crystals.

Like i said earlier I'm brand new at this so any advice would be nice. Il keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I could use some advice for water changes. I have a ro/di system set up in the backyard . I'm probably going to make the water collect in anew brute 33g trash can I got and make my saltwater mix in there. I have a cheap pump and heater to help with the mix. What I was going to do was once its mixed take the water up to the 2nd floor in 5 gallon buckets and siphon it into the tank.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 38 Nuvo with 60 lbs live sand and 25 lbs live rock. I put an Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer in my Nuvo 38 and the In Tank replacement basket in the other chamber. The In Tank is what the Nuvo really should come with, not the cheap ones that come with the tank. I'm using a similar mix in the In Tank except I use the Blue/white pads cut for the top chamber which I change as needed.

I usually do 10% a week in the way of water changes. I mix / heat the salted water for at least 24 hours prior to the water change. I use the Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine salt.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to go with a deep sand bed. The amount of live rock I put in with the sand and another 25 lbs of dry rock did the trick. The bacteria will start to populate the dry rock in no time. I also used the "ghost" feeding method. I fed the tank as though there were fish in there so the bacteria would have something to work with. Others use a raw shrimp in the tank for a few days.

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order placed!

So the stand should be i any day now. i placed a 290$ order on intank haha got the media and fuge basket, spin stream, acclimator, purigen and chemi pure elite, filter floss, hydor 600, neo therm heater, and an underwater light for the fuge. I didnt order the protein skimmer yet is it important to have it from day1? or can i put it in the tank mid cycle?

Also does anyone know where I can pick up some Chaeto in Brooklyn?! Looking everywhere for it!

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some more help and opinions! On intanks website they have both baskets (media and fuge ) right next to each other. Right now I can't fit the media basket in the first chamber because of a price of glass on the side . For some reason the last chamber seems a tad bit bigger even though it also has a price of glass on the side .

Is it ok that it's set up like that ? Also I plan on ordering the im protein skimmer to put in the first chamber. Would that set up be good? And last but not least if that glass was removed would it do any damage? I'm worries the protein skimmer also won't fit unless I remove that piece of glass or somehow modify it... Pics below!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1370465110.234277.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1370465110.234277.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 261
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1370465122.433558.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1370465122.433558.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 253
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pull any glass out of the back. Start with measuring the media basket and chamber to make sure they're within spec. In Tank shows the media basket fitting from the photos on their site.

On my 38 I have the Protein Skimmer in the first chamber with a piece of blue filter pad to pickup and of the heavy stuff and the media basket in the 2nd chamber. I have 2 heaters (in case one fails), but am thinking of moving both to the heater column and picking up a fuge basket.

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs are good but you know the glass on the side? I think they put too much glue or w/eider that glass because it looks like one side of that small piece sticks out more than the other and that's why I think it won't fit.

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the 2nd picture it's the small rectangular piece of glass on the inside of the tank. How can I remove the silicone without dislodging that piece from the tank?

fishless

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bombel. I recently started up a Nuvo 38. Twice, actually. Long story. I have the inTank media baskets, and am working on a set-up much like yours. I'm actually going to put the skimmer and fuge basket next to each other. In theory, having the macro algae right there should help catch the bubbles the skimmer puts out and keep them from getting into display side. So, if it was me I would go with how you have it in the photos. At any rate, I can't think of any reason you have to put the fuge basket next to the media basket.

I haven't set up my fuge yet, btw. I need to get a light for it. Which one did you buy?

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for that info. I bought the single led light from intanks site. Once my stand comes in and I have everything set up il take a pic. I put the light on for literally 10 secs and couldn't touch the bulb cuz of the heat so I think it may cause some heat issues.... Hopefully not

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: