Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm picking up a barracuda 3.5 pico reef tank and a Nanobox Monobox led setup with controller from one of the members here on Manhattan reefs, and will be posting pictures of my build and any other info. I already have a 70 gallon reef tank running back at home just fine, but I am new into the pico reef realm. After tons of research, I have a decent idea of the process in starting/maintaining a pico reef, but I am open to any suggestions and comments.

Thanks!

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
d0b7887f.jpg

Added some liverock, water, and got my led fixture set up. Waiting on the tank to cycle for a bit then will add some cuc, and some soft corals first.

Heartnet

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it's good to see there's water in her finally! Glad she's gone to a good home. =]

Have you tried moving the clips that hold the lid to the side, instead of the front? I just realized that's one less distraction for the eye. Just something I never noticed with no water in the tank. lol

Have you decided how to mount the light fixture itself yet? Can't wait to see the full potential of this little setup.

Heartnet

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite the beast in fact. I measured the PAR level and it gave me well over 2000 PAR - when it was at full intensity and sitting on top of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I really gotta give an extra thanks/hats off to Heartnet, he really gave me a good deal with the tank/led. When my corals get bigger in my 70, I'll be sure to frag some for Heartnet and jeffvmd sometime.

The light is pretty intense. My mom looked at it when the moonlight settings were on, and she was like "Growing corals with that light? Yeah no...". I immediately changed the settings to 90% and she was like "Nvm....". In the picture above, the lights are only at 65% white, and 50% blue.

I just changed the orientation of the clips, and it looks a lot better now. I also might see if I can get a custom hanging arm/kit for the led done for me.

Just waiting now on the tank to fully cycle before I can add some corals, cuc, etc. Any recommendations for fish? If any? Thanks

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Been very busy lately with Grad Studies, but I am planning on buying a hanging kit soon and some corals this upcoming break. Had some issues with brown algae and nitrite nitrate levels, but stuff is looking good. Will post pics sometime soon!

Heartnet

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is pretty intense. My mom looked at it when the moonlight settings were on, and she was like "Growing corals with that light? Yeah no...". I immediately changed the settings to 90% and she was like "Nvm....". In the picture above, the lights are only at 65% white, and 50% blue.

Haha. Talk about showing her the light. I hope you can get some new pics up! Would love to see what kine of masterpiece this could turn out to be.

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
After a bumpy road in grad school engineering, the tank is finally back in commission!

The light in the previous picture broke a while ago, so I had Dave Fason from nanobox led build me a new custom lighting setup with a computerized controller. I need to cut the anchor block a bit wider so I can mount it to the back of the tank. Other than that, the light has been working great!

Nitrates/Nitrites are still not totally zeroed out yet, so I will give it a few more days before I add a clean up crew and such.

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just added clean up crew, two hermit crabs and a striped snail. Parameters look good right now, but will be holding off on corals/fish(dottyback?) for the next two weeks because of weekends trips.

The gap in the light clamp has to be cut a big bigger, so it can be clamped onto the back of the tank as opposed to the front as see in the picture. When I have a chance, I'll take the clamp to the shop room on my campus to get it cut.

Will post a picture sometime later of the tank later today after classes.

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the nice comment Tbone Reefer

Jeffvmd was nice of enough to throw me some frags yesterday. Here is a picture of the tank with frags and such. Thinking about picking up a dottyback within the next few days to add to my setup.

Levels look fine; however, I'm having an issue with brown algae building up here and there. Any thoughts? Good idea with dottyback?

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Added a neon goby. Video of him swimming around below in the picture link

Also picked up a refurb current prime 1/15 hp chiller for the rough summers on LI. I know its a bit overkill, but I'm not a big fan of the thermo-electric cooling technology. Thermo-electric cooling does not work as well as compressor type cooling with high ambient air temps imo. Plus, for the price I paid for the chiller, it is still less than purchasing an iceprobe with temp controller.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: