Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda new to this hobby I have a 75g tank FOWLR and I had recently thrown out all my water out from it which was running for at least 2 years(which was a bad idea) because i had to change the sand bed to starboard and at the same time i wasnt able to take good care of tank much due to work and college so i figured it wasnt good keeping it anymore, only thing i kept was the water in my sump. Now i got back on it with the same tank/rocks/3 fish but a whole new water using redsea salt but this time i kinda rushed it, I let it cycle for only a couple days and decided to add softies to it right away(zoas, torches).i had them for a week now but non of them will open. parameters are good Ph 8.0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 calcium 430 magnesium 1320 except for ammonia .25 and alkalinity which is really high 15. im using a photon 48" led and i only ramp it up to 50%. what do you suggest i should do at this point? what do you guys think caused them to stay closed? anything will be much appreciated!

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
If you have ammonia the tank is still cycling. Zoas are easy to keep torches are probably the hardest of the euphylia family. Like you said alk is also high but if you didn't dose any not sure how it got so high. How was the water kept in your sump? Was there heat, flow etc. Probably would have been best to ditch that water and start fresh. Think the best thing at this point is to do a very big water change and dose a good bacteria. Might have to see if a friend or store can hold the torches.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! not sure how its too high, id have to check it again to make sure its the right reading but ive done it twice and it was the same. yes the sump has heat and flow back to the tank, its pretty much mixed with the fresh water. Ill do a 10% water change but this time with a different salt that doesnt elevate alk, Thanks again! :]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: