Gancoob

Newbie fishi-mon
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I a, setting up a tank for my uncle and was wondering what sump everyone felt would work well for a 150. I was hoping for a fuge that is integrated. I built the one for my fish only and have micro bubble problems. Didn't want that for him. He's going to have two holes cut into the rear of the tank if that affects his options. He also will be aiming for a beginners reef w some fish. All suggestions are appreciated.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I think, the bigger is the more easy is to control the main tank, i change 4-5, just because of Protein Skimmer , i keep upgrade ( heart of the system, in mine opinion), make sure P.Skimmer fit in and easy to clean. Now size of the stand is another issue , you may need room for make up water to ?!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a 150 high. 4 X 2 X 30" and I made a 75 into a sump.
The bigger the sump the better. You need that space for reactors and a possible fuge.

Why not start a post about your micro bubbles.
Im sure someone here can help.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
i agree, go as big as you can afford and fit. I would try to get atleast 50gallons in the sump area for stability of the main tank.

I just bought a deep blue 150 high 4 x 2 x 30 and I have an equipment room behind the wall so im putting 100 gallon sump

Gancoob

Newbie fishi-mon
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for some input. I too was leaning towards making my own, but since im setting this up quicklt, i was wondering if there wasn't a quicker way to do it in addition to the micro bubbles. Thanks fish guy for the offer, but it might be hard to travel to Chicago with a 55 gal sump in my carry on! And thanks for the suggestion to post about my bubble problem. I think I will start a post.

For those of u who have DIY sumps (40g) on larger tanks (120 and up) how many gallons per hour do you have flowing through your sump. What type of flow is needed for the algae to do its job?

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
i have a 90g sump for my 150......

if you have 2 days and the layout of the sump preplanned it shouldnt take more than a day to silicone baffles in and a day to cure.....or you could always buy a fish tank and give a glass shop the plans for the lay out of the sump and have them do it for you

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for some input. I too was leaning towards making my own, but since im setting this up quicklt, i was wondering if there wasn't a quicker way to do it in addition to the micro bubbles. Thanks fish guy for the offer, but it might be hard to travel to Chicago with a 55 gal sump in my carry on! And thanks for the suggestion to post about my bubble problem. I think I will start a post.

For those of u who have DIY sumps (40g) on larger tanks (120 and up) how many gallons per hour do you have flowing through your sump. What type of flow is needed for the algae to do its job?

No Problem. You never said the tank was in Chicago!! LOL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: