DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Hi All,
I trying to set up a 40G breeder (36" X 18" X 16") as a sump for a 90G set up. I have limited space where the tank is going to be am trying to be as efficient or economical about the space as possible.

Can any of the more experienced reefers chime in on this sump lay-out I have put together? I want to make sure that what I'm trying to do makes sense before I construct this thing.

sump_diagram.jpg

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some pumps, I guess the mag impeller types are bad at sucking water upwards even tho they are able to push water up very high. Might want to check yours to see if it can self start itself mounted that way.

Unless im missing something you have the water coming into skimmer chamber then the trap. It then just mixes into the two chambers. Alot of it will just bypass the fuge and head straight for the pump. i would use the normal config where the chambers are in straight line and nothing gets past. Thats just me I guess I am not sure if it makes a difference. I think I would axe the ro chamber also and mount a container somewheres else to store my spare water. To me the sump space is just to valuable to waste on just storage.

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I recently set up my 90 w/ a similar sump - make sure as henrye718 indicated, that you design the flow of water to course through each chamber. I am a big fan of a drilled external pump rather than an over the side - if anything you can use a submersible pump and save a little space in the stand. You don't want fast water movement thru the sump bec you want the fuge section to have time for the macro to do its job, I'm guessing on ab 700 gph or even less on the return pump. Give yourself enough room for maintenance - good luck and have fun

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
to give you an idea of how well it all works. I have a 10 gal sump\fuge under my 55 gal tank.

50 - 60 lb live rock.

30 lbs sand

chaeto in the fuge and very small skimmer

14 fish

3 shrimps

20 or various coral frags

2 sponges

20 snails

30 hermit crabs

readings after 2 months of running the tank

amo 0
phos 0 - .25
nit 0
nitra 0
ph 8.2
kh 9.0
cal 680

I have a 200gph pump, acounting for the height i think it might be running at 50 gal per hour. matter of fact its running so slow if i lift the return hose 6" higher the flow just stops. I did this on purpose to allow the fuge more time to do its thing on the water. I believe its working.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
to give you an idea of how well it all works. I have a 10 gal sump\fuge under my 55 gal tank.

50 - 60 lb live rock.

30 lbs sand

chaeto in the fuge and very small skimmer

14 fish

3 shrimps

20 or various coral frags

2 sponges

20 snails

30 hermit crabs

readings after 2 months of running the tank

amo 0
phos 0 - .25
nit 0
nitra 0
ph 8.2
kh 9.0
cal 680

Pics please? What are the 14 fish that allow for a very small skimmer? By the way, how did you get your calcium levels so high?

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
How low does your display drop when your return pump is off? 9 gallons or about 2.4inches from your display can enter you tank before the RO section mixes in with your saltwater.

DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The water level in the sump is about 10". That would leave a 30" X 18" X 4", that would leave a 9.35 gallon (according to this site). I would only be about my display tank overflow of 48" X 18" X 2" which would be 7.48 gallons. I hope that makes sense

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will be using an PanWorld 50PXX as my external pump.

I am no pump expert but even that style pump I believe can not self start when mounted above the water level. Even if it can it would run dry for a few seconds until it got itself started, not that you would be turning it on and off all the time. A pump that runs dry will burn out pretty fast, just some food for thought.

Of more concern would be what if the flow from the main tank stopped for some reason? Since the pump is mounted above the sump it would be running dry for a long peroid of time till it was noticed.

As I understand it, pump dry = fire. yikes!

If the pump is at or below water level it would not run totally dry. It will just stop when its intake hits air and spit the same water and bubbles up and down the uptake tube till it has enough water again to flow correctly. I guess it could do this for days without a problem.

i think you should reconsider mounting the pump above the sump. Maybe even call the company that makes the pump and double check some of this with them.

Last edited:

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pics please? What are the 14 fish that allow for a very small skimmer? By the way, how did you get your calcium levels so high?

They are smaller fish of course 2 perc clowns, 1 royal gramma, 2 yellow clown gobies, 2 black clown gobies, 2 scotters 1 reg, 1 red, 2 pearl jawfish, 1 diamond goby, 1 green manderin. 1 domino damsel, 1 yellow watchman goby.

And one lemon peel angel that now lives in the fuge, he was picking at my frags and messed some up.

IF ANYONE WANTS THE LEMON PEEL COME AND GET GET HIM FREE. He is living in kinda cruel conditions down there with all the chaeto and a small space.. 07065 zip just PM me. good for FOWLR tank only.

My calcium must have come from my salt and water I havent even put any aditives in it yet.

Im a little embarrassed to show a picture of my tank since I have so many gobies and fish that like to dig and sift. I have been combating cloudy water since day one lol. I am running a diatom as you can see in the picture, every 3 days in the hopes that one day there will be nothing left for them to cloud the tank with. Well I can can dream right!

phpxoqsbBPM.jpg

Last edited:

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I would drill for the external pump.

I would also change the part where the skimmer/drain flows to both the fuge and return area.

I would have the skimmer section flow to the return. Then you can either split the drain to feed both the skimmer and fuge, or tee off the return to feed the fuge.
In both cases the fuge would flow into the return section.

DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. I guess this is one of those, KISS (keep it simple stupid), situations where I was over thinking what I really needed.

Here is an updated diagram of what I will be constructing. Let me know if I missed anything.

sump_diagram_800170.jpg

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
It's up to you. I liked the first design with the prop area in the front. I like a little display in a sump :)
The second design is the more conventional way of going about it...

DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
It's up to you. I liked the first design with the prop area in the front. I like a little display in a sump :)
The second design is the more conventional way of going about it...

that's why i was intrigued by the first layout, i liked the fact that the prop chamber would be at the front. Maybe I can adjust the baffle between the fuge and prop areas horizontally to achieve that same look.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Food for thought, here is one of my sump designs. This was for a small nano.
The return had a tee to feed the fuge.
keithsump.jpg

I loved the idea of a "full frontal" fuge.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: