LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm looking to add a 55G or larger sump to my tank and I've read pro and con for skimmer-return-fuge and also skimmer-fuge-return sump designs, but I'd like to know what the reefers who have been using sumps have to say about order preference and why--advice? Also, I would like to add a frag section or rack to the sump design so any thoughts on where this would best go in the design would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks!!

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I like doing left chamber for skimmer, center for return, and right for fuge. this order will give you the flow you want thru the fuge. If you set it up the other way their is no way of adjusting flow. And I personally would not add a frag rack in the fuge. you would need to add extra lighting, and most of your debri goes their as well, just make a frag rack using eggcrate glued on a magnet that you use to clean the glass with, this way you can start at the bottom of the tank and raise to acclimate to lighting conditions.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
drain goes into compartment for skimmer, then fuge then return. reasoning behind is you want the skimmer to skimmer the water from the tank then it further gets the bennifits of the fuge and an area for pods ect to grow then the return, this will allow the pods as they spawn and release a chance to get back into tank

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
NYreefNoob said:
drain goes into compartment for skimmer, then fuge then return. reasoning behind is you want the skimmer to skimmer the water from the tank then it further gets the bennifits of the fuge and an area for pods ect to grow then the return, this will allow the pods as they spawn and release a chance to get back into tank

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I like doing left chamber for skimmer, center for return, and right for fuge. this order will give you the flow you want thru the fuge. If you set it up the other way their is no way of adjusting flow. And I personally would not add a frag rack in the fuge. you would need to add extra lighting, and most of your debri goes their as well, just make a frag rack using eggcrate glued on a magnet that you use to clean the glass with, this way you can start at the bottom of the tank and raise to acclimate to lighting conditions.

rich built my sump also,, i think its more practical bc u have a better flow to the return pump this way. u filter the water thru the skimmer,,,and then u filter the water thru ur fuge with the marco algae in there ,,so ur getting the best of both worlds

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
The drain is in the middle compartment ,, and five is on right ,, and skimmer left ,, I'm controlling the flow wit a ball valve to the fuge

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Let me clarify the set up that was built for bigdog.
left side is skimmer
center is return
right side is fuge
how it works is the drain line is t'd off 1 side going to the skimmer with no ball valve, and the other side going into the fuge with a valve, the fuge gets raw water from the dt on the right side, then spills over to the center chamber.
the skimmer side also gets raw water but is skimmed then flows in the center chamber. you adjust the amount of flow the the fuge side by the valve. I hope this helped.

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
And from what I read 75% of the water should drain to the skimmer section and 25% drains to the ffuge in this type of set up? Is it true that the skimmer section should be snug for the skimmer to work better? Where does the heater, UV and phosban reactor go--in the return? And what about any doser and probes?

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
i like a lot of room in the skimmer area, the reason is their is a lot of water that is going thru the skimmer creating bubbles, these bubbles need to dissapte before going into the return. yes approxamitly 75 to 25 ratio heater could go anywhere, uv is usually ran external, phosban is also ran external, probes could go in the return chamber, and doser hoses need to go int return area, they need to go where their is sufficent flow.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
here is my sump.

refuge on left
return in middle
skimmer, intake on right.

I love the fact that I can control the amount of water going into the fuge. The water coming out of my fuge is slow and I can actually see amphipods having a good ole time in there. If it were faster, I don't know how that would affect their population and whatnot but I like control :)

Attachments

• DSC03219.jpg
    DSC03219.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 90

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I don't like the idea of raw drain going into the fuge. You are over working the macro for no reason. Your skimmer removes the most nutrients so you should send all your drain there first then pass through your fuge.
This way the macro can work more efficiently because it deals with less DOC.
JMO

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: