BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
You also have to keep in mind water loses heat much slower than air. I noticed your post was at night. Your tank retains the temperature from the daytime if it gets direct sunlight and if your house is hot all day.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
what are the room and the tank temps?
i have my tank in a walkout basement with indirect sunlight from the windows.
right now the room is 72 and the tank is 78.....exactly 6 degrees apart.
during the summer, the room can get up to 76-78 degree on a really hot day.... even with the 3 window a/c's.
the tank, with 300g total volume, has a 1/2 hp chiller so it's always 77-79 degree pretty much year round.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do (either of you) have glass covers on your tanks? ..a closed canopy that has no vent holes or fans built into it? Both of these things tend to cause heat to build up in the tank.

Clip on fans are a good solution to drop the temp by 2 or 3 degrees. It can be placed to blow air across the surface of the water of the DT or sump. Do keep in mind it will create additional evaporation.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Do (either of you) have glass covers on your tanks? ..a closed canopy that has no vent holes or fans built into it? Both of these things tend to cause heat to build up in the tank.

Clip on fans are a good solution to drop the temp by 2 or 3 degrees. It can be placed to blow air across the surface of the water of the DT or sump. Do keep in mind it will create additional evaporation.

No glass covers. My oak canopy does not have fans on the top but the back is open. I'm getting concerned. Its barely spring and its looking like this could be an issue. I'm going to the try fans in the sump and display and see if that helps. I'm also planning on switching external pumps from the Iwaki to a Reeflo so hopefully that helps too.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
No glass covers. My oak canopy does not have fans on the top but the back is open. I'm getting concerned. Its barely spring and its looking like this could be an issue. I'm going to the try fans in the sump and display and see if that helps. I'm also planning on switching external pumps from the Iwaki to a Reeflo so hopefully that helps too.

Be prepared for the increase in evaporation with the fan technique

BTW where's the OP?

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Lights can heat up a tank to, especially if encased in a canopy with no ventilation. What kind of lights are you running?

Fish,

I've got two 36" Build My LED Custom Reef Fixtures hanging about 4 inches above the water but I began to notice the tank temp vs. room temp difference before I started running them. I'm sure they will contribute though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: