madreefer

Crazy bout reefing
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have reached the amount of room i have on my 125g tank. So i decided to upgrade to a Oceanic 220grr tank. I have been slowly upgrading all of my equipment for the new tank. i would like to keep most of the corals and equip from my old tank.

Problems i can only put new tank where old tank was.

The plan i have gotten a used 55gallon tank to keep my coral temp until new tank is established. i have been doing water changes to new tank and keeping old water to add into the 55 so my coral will be somewhat balanced to the water. ok idea?

i will contine to run the 55 until i clear out old 125 and setup new 220. i will be adding new sand and sump to 220 but i will use old crushed coral from 125 about 2 yrs old tons of bristol worms and pod crushed coral. i want to add it in the 40g fuge mounted under the 220 to try and start the cycle running. good idea???

planned to use cycle chemical to speed up process good or no?

i am also setting up a tub to keep most of my lr problem is i have alot of white sponge on rock so transfer will be dificult any suggestions ideas comments welcome

old items to be used: Yes or No?
Pro clear 220 sump w/bio balls form sump now
segio 2600 pumps qty4
300w heater
1/4hp chiller
corallife pro skimmer rated for 500g
phos ban reactor
magnum 350 w/purigen loaded

once again any suggestions please welcome thanks guys

madreefer

Crazy bout reefing
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
this was an extenstion on my house so i am able to go underneath the floor i will be adding jacks under the area of the tan jic.
that corallife was rated for a 500g still too small?
i will also be adding a 40 gallon fuge to the tank to help out the sump or should i just go with just the fuge

nemo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just empty out your old tank by putting the live rocks in large plastic tupperware buckets and a temp tank to place your corals. That way, you have time to take the old tank out and the new one in. Don't try to do this in one day. Keep most of the old water where possible so minimal stress to the corals

brianx45

Diamonds of the Reef
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 175, I used all new sand and water. I used some cycled live and seeded with some pieces from my existing tank, and I took about a cup of sand from my old tank and threw that in also. Instant ocean makes this product called biro spira, its supposed to cycle the tank overnight, I figured it was worth the couple of extra dollars for this. I have a decent amount of coral and fish and I didn't lose anything. Hope this helps!

stedfast82

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new here just wanted you to know that I went from a 75 gal with a 40 sump that was up and running for 2 year's some real nice sps and softies went up to a 110gal put all the old sand and rock in it and it still cycled well really cant say cycle . but alk crashed over night cant tell you why but keep a real good look on your cal alk and mag they went all out of wack! make shure you have test kit's and cal mag and alk on hand to keep up on it IMO

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: