Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, every time I log on the message board encourages me to post my first post, So I will. Anyway, I am beginning my own reef tank but i'm not new to marine husbandry. I started about 3 years ago with a 46 gallon bow front, that I ran on a 10 gallon 2 chamber sump with bio balls, protein skimmer and T5's. Livestock includes Flame Angel, 2 fire gobies (I believe they are a mated pair if that's possible), false clown, and a few feather dusters. I had about 80 lbs of LR in there, but now I have it filled with more I bought for my new set up, so its stuffed to the gills between the tank and the sump (temporarily), substrate was crushed coral.

So as I alluded to above I decided to step up and got a 150 gallon 6 ft Marineland dual overflow tank. I am still in the process of getting my start up ready. I plan on doing a reef system and any advice would be appreciated. So far I have the tank described above, a reef octopus RPS 3000 recirculating skimmer, RO/DI filtration system. I am building a 2 chamber sump with about 30 lbs of live rock in a 40 g breeder no sand bed. I have about 180 lbs of well cultivated live rock ranging from Fiji, Florida, Caribbean, and pukani rock ready to go.

Things I need (please make suggestions if you think I need anything else) include:

External pump: Thinking about a blue-line,any recommendations?

Substrate: I was thinking pink Fiji live sand, I dont want sand that is too fine because I dont want it getting all over the place, but I also would like to have sand sifters such as certain types of gobies, and I wanted to do about 1"1/2 - 2" sand bed, how much sand do you think I need? I figured about 160 lbs. Ive been told and have read the Pink Fiji is not too fine or course and just right for what I am trying to accomplish.

Lighting: I was looking at the radions, all generations of radion want my first born for a down payment lol. So I was thinking about the maxspect razor. Do i need the pro edition, is it worth it? What size and how many units do I need for a 6 foot tank (with a monterey canopy)? This is a tough decision and one I really need help in. I know I need the 16 watt but thats about it, my tank is 27" deep, will I get enough penetration with the maxspect?

Heaters: need recommendations for a system this size.

So thats my story and what I believe I need to get started, please offer any advice and guidance you feel is appropriate. I would like to keep things reasonable financially if possible, but I would not skimp on crucial components. How long should I cycle before I introduce my existing livestock? What are your feelings on used equipment? I dont have any yet but I would consider used gear if it worked well and saved me a significant amount of money. Anyway guys, thanks for reading my post and offering any advice if any.

Ed

5thChorseman

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Welcome Ed.

For a heater, I would recommend getting two neo therm heater. You can read more about them here:

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/08/24/neotherm-heater-cobalt-aquatics/

For a return pump I would suggest getting a DC pump like waveline, or the equivalent. Quiet and energy efficient. Here is some discussion on them:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/158900-dc-pump-external-return.html

For 160 lb of sand, you may want to get the coarse grain sand from
http://www.marcorocks.com/ --- $109 shipped to you door.

cheers

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
welcome, for heaters i would go with two 300w eheim jagar. i run a blue line 70 on my 150 with sump in the basement. they are noisy.
you will know when your cycle is finished when your water parameters are in ck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: