• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had problems with diatoms for what feels like forever. My current 120 has been up for approx 2 years I have a heavy bio load of fish and corals. I've consistently done water changes 30 and 40 gallons at a time every other week with know change.
I'm now thinking about taking out the crushed coral at the bottom of my tank but not sure what to replace it with. Any suggestion would be appreciated

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
IF you really must remove... i would remove as little as possible over a long period... or do a quick breakdown and remove completely and remove whatever water is left over in the tank as you will raise up some unwanted aerobic bacteria into the water column which is potentially hazardous to livestock.

get yourself whichever sand you like and feel appropriate to your aquascaping, however do not get sugar fine sand as it will blow all over the place and lift when you do not want it.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
IF you really must remove... i would remove as little as possible over a long period... or do a quick breakdown and remove completely and remove whatever water is left over in the tank as you will raise up some unwanted aerobic bacteria into the water column which is potentially hazardous to livestock.

get yourself whichever sand you like and feel appropriate to your aquascaping, however do not get sugar fine sand as it will blow all over the place and lift when you do not want it.

+1

CaribSea Fiji Pink - great grain size and very natural coloration.

Russ

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
The problem might not be the crushed coral it might just be that your bio load is too high and you have too much going on in the tank. What is currently in there along w/ amount of live rock? What type of filtration and flow do you have? All these things can be factors. You might not have enough flow or filtration or a combination of both.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The problem might not be the crushed coral it might just be that your bio load is too high and you have too much going on in the tank. What is currently in there along w/ amount of live rock? What type of filtration and flow do you have? All these things can be factors. You might not have enough flow or filtration or a combination of both.

ImageUploadedByReefs1358988797.190292.jpg
This picture should give you an idea of bio load.
Also
Yellow tang
Clown tang
Niger trigger
2 clowns
Yellow eyed kole tang
1 Green chromis
Nac7
Reactor for Phosphate and carbon
2 mp40s
I'm not sure how many gph my tank turns over
The algae covering the sand was bad when I got home I sucked up the algae with a thin covering of sand and i tossed it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: