Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
Was thinking of gettingsome new fish... i dont know how many will fit into my 65gallon set us (36lx18wx24h) i have about 7 fish in my tank right now.

yellow tang
2 spotted gobie
3 chromis
a pair of clowns

I have a reef system with softies, lps, sps corals and clams. 3 skunk cleaner shrimp and 1 blood fire shrimp and 1 peppermint shrimp.

Thinking of another or few more...

can some one give me some clues to what kind of fish i should get next. A REEF SAFE FISH:)

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
i think your kinda good on fish.... add more coral :birthday:

if u had to I would go with something small and stays small like a firefish

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Firefish only jump if stressed. I doubt you'd have a big problem. Look into the purple firefish. I think it would add some really nice color.

A mandarin is doable. If I were you I would make sure you have a steady flow of copepods. I am sure you know the risks. If anything I would just build a few LR Piles and buy 2 bottles of copepods and put both in main tank and some in your fuge just to be safe.

How about a blenny of some sort. Bi Color or Tailspot. In a 65 gallon I would even get a really small hippo tang.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Firefish only jump if stressed. I doubt you'd have a big problem. Look into the purple firefish. I think it would add some really nice color.

A mandarin is doable. If I were you I would make sure you have a steady flow of copepods. I am sure you know the risks. If anything I would just build a few LR Piles and buy 2 bottles of copepods and put both in main tank and some in your fuge just to be safe.

How about a blenny of some sort. Bi Color or Tailspot. In a 65 gallon I would even get a really small hippo tang.

I would not get a hippo tang

MikeyNYC

Ol' Skool
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Mandarin's are a full time job. Pods will keep it alive for a while but usually not enough to keep them fat, and healthy. Be prepared to train the fish to eat other foods if it does not already accept them.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I wouldn't worry about the Yellow Tang destroying it, or even bothering the Hippo for that matter, just that the tank is on the small side for a Hippo tang. Even if you get a small one it will over grow the tang pretty fast.

I would look at a small pygmy angel, Blenny, gobie, Hawk fish or maybe a small Dottyback, like a Royal Gramma. Just watch out as you do have a good bio-load already and you don't want to push it.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
yea i know i had a hippo the yellow tang killed it in 4 days! same size as the yellow.:( wont angels nip on my clams and zoas? hawk fish are cool! arent they aggressive?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I agree that a Royal Gramma or a Hawkfish would be a good addition (though Grammas also tend to be jumpers).
A Coral Hawk or Falco would be good choices. If kept well fed they don't bother much with snails, nor will they usually attack a shrimp larger than themselves. A Flame Hawk might not work out for you since they might pick on other fish that stay towards the bottom of the tank.

D Rose

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a purple firefish, royal gramma and purple dottyback (a lot of purple I know). They look great in a tank, the firefish and gramma are active swimmers in my tank

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat all my fish as potential jumpers since last spring when a yellow coris, anthias and occelaris clown all jumped in a two month period.

Hawks are fine, I just don't like them for the risk they pose to my shrimp.

My advice; get a cover, and get a fairy wrasse, it'll be your tank's "centerpiece" fish.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
hmmm im never getting a cover for the tank... never unless i get a canopy which imnot getting for this 65 gallon.... im leaving it open...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: